Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from VTP client to transparent

rene.caspari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have some problems using VTP and PVST+ so I decided to get rid of VTP.

Is there a way to remove VTP from an access switch (VTP client to VTP transparent) while keeping the VLANs on this switch so two trunk ports and all access ports do not have any downtime or STP recalculation?

There is no change on PVST+.

Thanks in advance,

Rene

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Best practice is to complete such as change during a change window but changing the vtp mode should not have any impact to STP as long as you're not removing any of the vlans from the trunk interfaces or shuting any active STP trunk interfaces! Also changing the vtp mode to transparent, you vlans will not be removed from the vlan database!

Francisco.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Best practice is to complete such as change during a change window but changing the vtp mode should not have any impact to STP as long as you're not removing any of the vlans from the trunk interfaces or shuting any active STP trunk interfaces! Also changing the vtp mode to transparent, you vlans will not be removed from the vlan database!

Francisco.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Rene,

The migration from VTP Client to VTP Transparent mode should not have any influence on your PVST operation. The VLAN database will be retained and no modifications to it will be made. Also, no reconvergence of PVST port states will take place as there will be essentially no change to the VLAN settings of your switch. Your switch will simply stop participating in the VTP domain, though it will continue to forward VTP advertisements if they are received with the same VTP domain name.

I have a question, though: what problems did you have regarding the cooperation of VTP and PVST? Moving your switch into VTP Transparent mode, especially if you have a larger switched network with lots of VLANs, is not necessarily the best thing to do. Perhaps your problems could be solved without using the Transparent mode but can you be more specific about them?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

because of a bad STP design and per VTP widely spreaded VLANs there are too much STP instances on some 2960 and 3560.

Because of this and because I don't want VLANs automatically created on the entire network I want to remove it.

Best regards,

Rene

Hello Rene,

Have you considered migrating to MSTP to reduce the number of STP instances? Perhaps that would be a better way of handling your network than selectively removing VLANs from your switches. Moreover, the 2960 and 3560 switches support VTPv3 that allows synchronization of both VLAN and MSTP configuration so the management would be easy in my opinion.

In any case, I see your point and while I would personally not choose the "VTP Transparent" option, it surely is a solution and if the VLANs are removed from your switches judiciously, it will work fine for you.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

moving from PVST+ to MST needs a recalculation of the spanning tree so there is a downtime for about 30seconds for participating VLANs but I don't have a downtime window in the next days and I am not able to create new VLANs with PVST+ instances currently.

Best regards,

Rene

Manually pruning vlans off the links on the 2960's and 3560's will eliminate the spanning tree instance problem ,  (switchport trunk allowed vlan xxx) . My guess is that you are allowing all across the links and this is where the problem is . If its not need on the link just manually prune it off .  It is best practice to do this anyway  so that the supervisor doesn't see all the broadcast and arping going on , just extra load on the cpu for vlans that are not even used on the switch.

Glen, Full ACK. That's exactly how I want to resolve the problem.

Thanx anyway,

Rene

Excuse me but I have one question.

What connection does VTP have with the selection of spanning-tree version?

VTP is simply a mechanism by which you can reduce the administrative overhead of configuring vlans on each and every switch within a L2 domain.

I think there is a indirect connection with the per-VLAN spanning-tree modes.

When you add a new VLAN which is needed somewhere in your domain on the VTP server, all the switches in the domain will have to add a spanning-tree instance for that VLAN, regardless if it that VLAN is needed (locally or downstream) or not. You can't reduce the number of ST instances with VTP pruning, you'll have to prune manually, which more or less eliminates the advantage of reducing administrative overhead.

Plus, in large LANs you often have 6k or 4k at the Core and 2k/3k at the access layer. The 2k/3k have a limitation of 128 (some even 64) ST instances but the platforms at the core are not aware of that. When you apply more than 128 VLANs, the new ones will be added on the 2k/3k as well but with spanning-tree disabled, which most probably ends up in a bridging loop.

Even with less than 128 VLANs the CPU consumption will be unnecessarily high.

Like stated by Peter, a migration to MSTP can be a solution in such scenarios and here is another connection with VTP, since v3 allowes you to distribute the main part of the MSTP configuration as well.

Regards

Rolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card