cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing somewhat like switching?

pnicolette
Level 1
Level 1

Switches learn which ports connect to which MAC addresses, and direct traffic to them accordingly. 

Is there a routing protocol/config/algorithm which learns which interface connects to a specified subnet by seeing a source IP from that subnet?  And if an IP from the subnet later appears on a different interface, it redirects traffic to that subnet?

Thanks!

Paul

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paul,

>> Is there a routing protocol/config/algorithm which learns which interface connects to a specified subnet by seeing a source IP from that subnet?  And if an IP from the subnet later appears on a different interface, it redirects traffic to that subnet?

no as far as I know as a router has to modify packets in order to route ( change TTL and recalculate header checksum and rewrite with appropriate L2 information) and does not simply forward frames between ports.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Paul, Giuseppe,

There actually is an arcane functionality called IOS Local-Area Mobility which uses ARP packets sent by stations to populate routing tables (!) on routers by host routes towards these stations, essentially allowing a station to freely move throughout the campus. Quite a crude solution but it works. Nevertheless, it is not a protocol, merely a proprietary logic implemented in IOS that uses information contained in ARP messages.

Read more at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6590/products_white_paper09186a00800a3ca5.shtml

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

we had this in the campus of some works ago and it was used for laptops

I had a vague reminescence but you have found it

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Fascinating...thank you, Peter. 

My context (not in the original question!) makes ARP-triggered route changes impractical.  The scenario involves failover between alternate WAN paths which terminate in different organizations.

After some digging, I'm wondering if a closer fit would be Cisco Performance Routing, an enhanced version of Optimized Edge Routing.   A big advantage might be its capacity to reroute traffic based on link degradation as well as complete failure.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card