Views
Helpful
Replies

Two 6509 chassis

virtualtechie
Level 1
Level 1

hey guys

we have two of the 6509 chassis - connected to each other (somehow) - sorry this is what i am trying to understand ......

i think they are configured as a stack as one the ports from first one read 1/7/39

and from second they read 2/7/39

i am trying to work out weather if one chassi will fail , will the other be able cope up, (if have been old by one of our network guys) yes !

but if the ethernet for any one server is only plugged into a port on one chassi, how will it affect the failure of that chassi,

how will the other chassi1  be able to cope with physical failure of chassi2, which is where the server might be connected.

how will it redirect the traffic to the other chass1, if there is no physical connection into chassi 1 for that server or any other network device..

i can output the switch (stack information) if it is needed.

Also, m trying to configure LACP (two port) - is it best to run both cables to same module (switch) on same chassi or should i split them between for exmple

1/7/39 and 2/7/39 ( is it suppoted) -----

can you please help with the above.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

virtualtechie wrote:

hey guys

we have two of the 6509 chassis - connected to each other (somehow) - sorry this is what i am trying to understand ......

i think they are configured as a stack as one the ports from first one read 1/7/39

i am trying to work out weather if one chassi will fail , will the other be able cope up, (if have been old by one of our network guys) yes !

but if the ethernet for any one server is only plugged into a port on one chassi, how will it affect the failure of that chassi,

how will the other chassi1  be able to cope with physical failure of chassi2, which is where the server might be connected.

how will it redirect the traffic to the other chass1, if there is no physical connection into chassi 1 for that server or any other network device..

Also, m trying to configure LACP (two port) - is it best to run both cables to same module (switch) on same chassi or should i split them between for exmple

thanks

6500 switches don't stack so unless you running VSS then they are seen as 2 separate switches. A common setup is to interconnect the switches and then run something like HSRP which provides redundancy for clients/servers ie. if one chassis fails then the clients/servers can use th other chassis automatically.

However if the server is only connected to one chassis and that chassis fails then you have lost the server. For the server to be redundant and use the 2nd chassis you need to  dual hone the server ie. one NIC connection to each switch.

If you run LACP it doesn't matter which ports you connect to on either switch as long as the ports are running at the same speed. For maximum redundancy you would spread the etherchannel across multiple modules within each switch, that way if a module fails it does not take down the whole etherchannel.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

virtualtechie wrote:

hey guys

thanks

6500 switches don't stack so unless you running VSS then they are seen as 2 separate switches. A common setup is to interconnect the switches and then run something like HSRP which provides redundancy for clients/servers ie. if one chassis fails then the clients/servers can use th other chassis automatically.

However if the server is only connected to one chassis and that chassis fails then you have lost the server. For the server to be redundant and use the 2nd chassis you need to  dual hone the server ie. one NIC connection to each switch.

If you run LACP it doesn't matter which ports you connect to on either switch as long as the ports are running at the same speed. For maximum redundancy you would spread the etherchannel across multiple modules within each switch, that way if a module fails it does not take down the whole etherchannel.

Jon

"""6500 switches don't stack so unless you running VSS then they are seen as 2 separate switches""

I have been lookin at the switch config, and indeed we are running VSS (set up some sort of etherchannel - portchannel) see cswitch config below, been readinf at the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

so basically in that case if a server in patched into one of the chassis it should be able to stand a chassi failure (because of VSS)

can you please confirm. ...................

some output from the switch

redundancy
main-cpu
  auto-sync running-config
mode sso

interface Port-channel100
description VSL to Core Switch 2
no switchport
no ip address
switch virtual link 1
mls qos trust cos
no mls qos channel-consistency
!
interface Port-channel200
description VSL to Core Switch 1
no switchport
no ip address
switch virtual link 2
mls qos trust cos

virtualtechie wrote:

"""6500 switches don't stack so unless you running VSS then they are seen as 2 separate switches""

I have been lookin at the switch config, and indeed we are running VSS (set up some sort of etherchannel - portchannel) see cswitch config below, been readinf at the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

so basically in that case if a server in patched into one of the chassis it should be able to stand a chassi failure (because of VSS)

can you please confirm. ...................

some output from the switch

No, a chassis failure is a chassis failure and if the server is not connected to the other chassis then you have lost it. The advantage of VSS is that you can run an etherchannel from the server across both switches (Multichassis Etherchannel) which you couldn't do if the 6500 switches were acting as separate switches but if you only connect to one switch and that fails so does your server.

If you have invested in 6500 switches and VSS then at an absolute minimum you need to have your servers connected to both chassis.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card