cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Numbering rules within an Access List

charles.e.davis
Level 1
Level 1

I'm creating several extended access lists and I want each rule within the access list to have a number, so that it can be individually deleted without having to delete the entire access list.  I'm using a 2821 router and can't find anyway to do this.  Thank you for any assistance you can give.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

charles.e-.davis@baesystems.com

I'm creating several extended access lists and I want each rule within the access list to have a number, so that it can be individually deleted without having to delete the entire access list.  I'm using a 2821 router and can't find anyway to do this.  Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Charles

2821(config)# ip access-list extended TPS

2821(config-ext-nacl)# 10  permit ip host 192.168.5.1 host 192.168.6.1

2821(config-ext-nacl)# 20 permit ip 192.168.5.0 0.0.0.255 host 17.16.5.1

etc...

note you don't have to use increments of 10 ie. in the above i have used 10, 20 for acl entries but it's usually enough as this gives you the flexibility to add lines in between.

Jon

View solution in original post

charles.e.davis@baesystems.com

Thanks for the help.  Is there any reason that the numbers don't show up in the configuration?

they should do ie.

2821# sh ip access-list TPS

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

charles.e-.davis@baesystems.com

Charles

2821(config)# ip access-list extended TPS

2821(config-ext-nacl)# 10  permit ip host 192.168.5.1 host 192.168.6.1

2821(config-ext-nacl)# 20 permit ip 192.168.5.0 0.0.0.255 host 17.16.5.1

etc...

note you don't have to use increments of 10 ie. in the above i have used 10, 20 for acl entries but it's usually enough as this gives you the flexibility to add lines in between.

Jon

Thanks for the help.  Is there any reason that the numbers don't show up in the configuration?

charles.e.davis@baesystems.com

they should do ie.

2821# sh ip access-list TPS

Jon

Roger that, thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card