Bonjour Printing & 5508

Unanswered Question
Sep 2nd, 2010
User Badges:

So the network admin has been very slowly upgrading the network at school; and for the last 6 months bonjour printing has not worked between the lan and the cisco wireless. He says that Bonjour Printing is not compatible with with the wireless network. Shouldn't it be as simple as opening some specific protocols on some specific ports and IP addresses?

I started reading up on bonjour printing. Apparently Bonjour printing is a mix of:

IPv4 Link-Local Addressing

mDNS on port 5353

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
runningboy01 Fri, 09/10/2010 - 08:19
User Badges:

I am also looking for some assistance with this.  We have a network with a 5508 controller and a 4510R-E as the layer 3 switch.  The wired clients are on one VLAN, and the Wireless clients are split between 3 different VLAN's.  There is a print server (Windows Machine), that is in the wired VLAN.  We are having the problem where OS X clients cannot see the bonjour printers.  I do have an ACL on the layer 3, but have permitted UDP 5353 already.  In addition, the print server does have 2 NIC cards.  I did try putting one of the NIC's into one of the Wireless VLAN's, and had an OS X client try to see if the printers showed up (same VLAN as one of the NIC's now).  No success.  I read somewhere that multicast needed to be enabled on the controller, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sure which address I can use.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

teentitan Wed, 09/15/2010 - 20:44
User Badges:

well my issue is a little different; the network admin is not trying to vlan the wireless. instead one seamless network.

but for runningboy, if your trying to get a bonjour printer onto a vlan. Where is the bonjour printer coming from? is it the windows printer server? Do you have a mac server? Or is the bonjour printing coming from the printer directly?

runningboy01 Thu, 09/16/2010 - 05:30
User Badges:

It is a windows print server.  There is no mac server.  The bonjour printing is the protocol the OSX Laptops are using to find their printers.

teentitan Sun, 09/19/2010 - 17:03
User Badges:

did you enable LPD printing on the server? is the mac part of the windows domain?

Actions

This Discussion