cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PVDM2-32 Maximum conference participants

linden.varley
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently installed a PVDM2-32 module into my 2821 Router and i cannot seem to get more than 8 conference participants on a DSP.

I have a profile configured as such:

dspfarm profile 3 conference

description "Conference Farm"

codec g711ulaw

maximum sessions 4

associate application SCCP

I've also increased the parameter "Maximum MeetMe Conference Unicast" on my call manager 5.1 from 4 to 32.

When 8 participants are in the conference, the "show dspfarm all" gives me output like this:

SLOT DSP VERSION  STATUS CHNL USE   TYPE   RSC_ID BRIDGE_ID PKTS_TXED PKTS_RXED

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      33        6067      8958

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      34        6067      6059

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      35        4584      4577

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      36        4173      4166

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      37        3979      3972

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      38        3399      3393

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      39        2944      2936

0    6   1.1.1    UP     1    USED  conf   2      40        2633      2624

But then when the 9th person tries to join, they just disconnected.
I'm sure I read somewhere the latest IOS version has capability for up to 32 participants per conference.
Any ideas?
Thanks
- Linden

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The config example shows you define the maximum number of participants in 1st place and then codec.

It's worth trying it that way

maximum conference-participants

To configure the maximum number of conference participants allowed in  each meet-me conference, use the maximum  conference-participants command in DSP farm profile configuration  mode. To reset the maximum to the default number, use the no form of this command.

maximum conference-participants max-participants

no maximum conference-participants max-participants

Syntax Description

max-participants

Maximum number of participants allowed in each meet-me conference  session. One DSP can support the following maximums:

G.711—32 participants

G.729—16 participants

The default is 8 participants.

Command Default

The default maximum number of participants is 8.

Command Modes

DSP farm profile configuration (config-dspfarm-profile)

Command History

Release
Modification

12.4(11)XJ2

This command was introduced.

12.4(15)T

This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T.

Usage Guidelines

The maximum number of participants allowed for hardware conferencing is  dependent on the codec used in the DSP farm profile. Use the codec command in DSP farm profile configuration mode  to specify the codecs supported by the DSP farm profile. Use the show dspfarm profile command to display the DSP farm  profile.

Examples

The following example configures a DSP farm profile that has a maximum  of 16 participants for hardware conferences using the G.711 codec:

Router(config)# dspfarm profile conference1

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# maximum conference-participants 16

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# codec g711alaw

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

dfokin
Level 1
Level 1

According to Cisco Unified Communications Manager System Guide, maximum number of participants per conference equals 8, when you are using DSP resources hosted on PVDM2 modules.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmsys/a05dsp.html#wp1036250

For more participants use WS-X4604-GWY, WS-6608-T1,  WS-6608-E1 or PVDM3 modules.

I just wondered why I could use more than 8 in software but not more than 8 in hardware.

This link seems to suggest otherwise but cannot confirm

http://www.voiceie.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=8;t=002420

"PVDM2-16 - Conferencing

- IOS 12.4(15)T has new capability for 32 participants per conference. G711 must be only codec in dspfarm profile. Use the maximum conference-participants 8, 16 or 32 command."

By the way I don't see where it states a PVDM2 can support only 8 participants. I'm not using NM-HD-1V/2V or NM-HDV2, just 2x  PVDM2-32 modules directly in a 2821.

I think, this limit is set in the firmware of the DSP. Although, I have found the source for your quote. The source is 7.X SRND:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/media.html#wp1046210

A conference based on these DSPs allows a maximum  of 8 participants. When a conference begins, all 8 positions are  reserved at that time. Starting with Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T, this  limit on the maximum number of participants has been increased to 32.

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also make sure that the CM Service Parameter for 'Maximum MeetMe Conference Unicast' is set to something higher than 8.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Linden,

Just to jump in here for a moment

Can you try decreasing the parameter;

maximum sessions 4

to maximum sessions 2

to see the relationship/reservation between max sessions and max participants.

Cheers!

Rob

Appreciate all the responses.

I have the MeetMe CM service parameter already set at 32.

I actually started with maximum sessions 2 and then changed it to 4. Either configuration still only allows 8 participants. (I also thought there might be a maximum participants setting, but it doesn't seem like it)

I'm running the latest IOS version 12.4.25d(MD) for the 2821.

Session = how many conferences you can have, not the numbers of users in the conference.

You already posted the command to configure the maximum number of participants, the config you posted doesn't have it.

Have you already applied it??

HTH

java

HTH

java

I don't seem to have a "maximum participants" command when configuring a dspfarm profile?

Thanks

The config example shows you define the maximum number of participants in 1st place and then codec.

It's worth trying it that way

maximum conference-participants

To configure the maximum number of conference participants allowed in  each meet-me conference, use the maximum  conference-participants command in DSP farm profile configuration  mode. To reset the maximum to the default number, use the no form of this command.

maximum conference-participants max-participants

no maximum conference-participants max-participants

Syntax Description

max-participants

Maximum number of participants allowed in each meet-me conference  session. One DSP can support the following maximums:

G.711—32 participants

G.729—16 participants

The default is 8 participants.

Command Default

The default maximum number of participants is 8.

Command Modes

DSP farm profile configuration (config-dspfarm-profile)

Command History

Release
Modification

12.4(11)XJ2

This command was introduced.

12.4(15)T

This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T.

Usage Guidelines

The maximum number of participants allowed for hardware conferencing is  dependent on the codec used in the DSP farm profile. Use the codec command in DSP farm profile configuration mode  to specify the codecs supported by the DSP farm profile. Use the show dspfarm profile command to display the DSP farm  profile.

Examples

The following example configures a DSP farm profile that has a maximum  of 16 participants for hardware conferences using the G.711 codec:

Router(config)# dspfarm profile conference1

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# maximum conference-participants 16

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# codec g711alaw

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Thanks for all the help, turns out the IOS version I was running didn't support the maximum conference-participants command.

Switched to 12.4(24)T3 and everything now works as expected!

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: