Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Burst Rates

jamieparr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have been working on our companies QOS policies for the best part of a week. I think I have everything present and correct in terms of a base policy.

We have a few links that require some policing, I am having some trouble with the burst rates; I think I am on the right track, however I am worried I may not be.

If I want to police a specific class and we are limiting the rate to 10000000 bits per second, the equation below doesn't make much sense to me:

normal burst = configured rate * (1 byte)/(8 bits) * 1.5 seconds

Do I take my configured rate of 10000000 multiply by 8000(1 byte) then divide by 8(8 bits) and multiply by 1.5? Giving me 384000000?

This to me makes no sense, am I reading the equation wrong?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The equation is bc=cir/8 * 1.5. On your case, cir=10Mbit/s, so the bc=15Mbit or 1875Kbytes. You might want lower the time interval, 1.5 second seems too hight.

Please rate if it helps.

Regards,

Lei Tian

Thanks Lei Tian,

The equation is a lot simpler than I thought. I am using 1.5 seconds as Cisco recommends this as the RTT. Is this not the case? Is there a method for determining RTT?

Thanks,

Jamie

Can anyone help with the RTT? I cannot find any Cisco documentation on calculating this.

Thanks

Hi Jamie,

Sorry, I didn't see you asked another question. The RTR or TC is determined based on how bursty will you tolerate this type of traffic. A cir 10M with 1.5 second as the TC would allow temporary burst to 100Mb/s. I would not recommend use 1.5 second to calculate the BC, unless you know this type of traffic is very bursty by nature.

A rule of thumb is to use the platform default value, or use 200 ms if you have to configure the bc.

Please rate help posts.

Regards,

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: