Wireless Scanner Speed Issue

Unanswered Question
Sep 3rd, 2010

Hi Guys

I want to post a problem that we are having here. We have a Psion G2 Scanner as wireless endpoint and WLC with ACS authentication. We an issue of speed of the transaction carried out by the application in the Psion Scanner which takes around 12-14 sec, which usually occurs around 1-2 secs. We had tested tracert from the scanner to the application server itself and it seems to be in the region of milliseconds.

Also the SSID is not broadcasted and uses WPA. One thing is that when using the DHCP its slow but when the same DHCP acquired address is statically configured then it is fast. Is it anything to do with the DHCP snooping in the WLC or anything else?

If anyone can throw their thoughts in this, its highly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
vinovinom Tue, 09/07/2010 - 02:44

Can anybody post your thoughts in this issue or atleast general troubleshooting guideline to find out where the issue lies as I tried to tracert from the scanner to the application server its trying to access and I get reply back in milliseconds.... Does this mean that there is a issue with the application ?

Elliott Shawd Tue, 09/07/2010 - 15:30

Are these WinMo devices? If you can, try changing the SSID to broadcast and then try connecting. I've noticed slowness with WinMo devices when connecting to a non-broadcast SSID.

If this doesn't work, then you are just going to have to accept the fact that that's how long it takes your device to authenticate against ACS. If your primary goal is to speed up authentication, then you need to look at security mechanisms that don't involve EAP. EAP adds several additional steps to authentication compared to a WPA/WPA2-PSK network.

bbxie Tue, 09/07/2010 - 18:26

try use "config dhcp proxy disable" in CLI of WLC to disable DHCP proxy, some clients have problems with dhcp proxy

vinovinom Thu, 09/09/2010 - 02:11

Hi bbxie

Probably I would try this and check whether this changes the scenario.

I would try the SSID if the proxy option fails.

This Discussion