cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do GVRP commands only exist in IOS 12.x "ipservices" software?

JEFFREY SELLICK
Level 1
Level 1

I recently obtained a Small Business Switch (SRW2008) and am researching how to get it to interact with my existing VLAN environment.  The existing environment is running 12.2 IOS (basic IP image) and using VTP (v1) for VLAN provisioning.  The new switch uses GVRP, so i am trying to learn if the GVRP commands are absent from my environment because of IOS version, or IOS image.  Thanks in advance...

Jeff

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jeff,

According to the Cisco Feature Navigator at http://cisco.com/go/fn the GVRP is supported only on CatOS for Catalyst 6500 series, and the replacement protocol called MRP (Multiple Registration Protocol, IEEE 802.1ak-2007, together with MVRP) is supported on IOS 12.2(33)SXI and newer for 6500 series. It does not seem to be supported for lower-end switches. If you do not have the 6500 series Catalyst I am afraid that you won't be able to use the GVRP/MRP to talk to Cisco switches.

Best regards,

Peter

vragotha
Level 3
Level 3

The SRW2008 supports GVRP, but does not support VTP

Your existing LAN switches support VTP, but don't support GVRP (Like Peter said, it is available only in CatOS, not in IOS)

You will want to setup VLANs manually on the SRW2008 and 'trunk' it to the edge LAN switch that you want to connect it to.

Hello Vijay,

Thanks for making my answer more clear. Of course, if VLANs are defined statically then there is no problem in establishing a 802.1Q-tagged trunk between the Linksys and the Cisco switches.

This brings me to a different thought, however... How come that the low-cost Linksys switches support GVRP/MVRP while the (undoubtedly more advanced and feature-packed) Catalyst switches, with the sole exception of 6500 series, do not?

Best regards,

Peter

MVRP should be available for the Cat6k now

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/features.html#wp4208036

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_cfg_mvrp.html#wp1068230

GVRP was never integrated into IOS since there wasn't much demand for it. However, if enough people request for the feature, it may be considered into the IOS roadmap in the future. This may well happen since the small business routers have GVRP capability

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.  I have succeeded in manually building VLANs on the small switch and connecting it.  I appreciate your feedback and suggestions, and will look into MVRP.  My 6500s are running in VSS config, so I am not sure what additional limitations that might introduce as far as GVRP/MVRP functionality.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card