cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.0.2 HA Clustering

techguy73
Level 1
Level 1

I have the Primary/Publisher UC server installed up and running, and have everything added for the subscriber per cisco documentation, after which I am performing an installation of subscriber server, same hardware same software. Identifying as secondary note with references of Publisher put it with connectivity tested, everything goes fine till the error at the very end throwing a critical error saying the UC installation failed during the database setup.

Has anyone encountered this? and is there any quick fix for it? In my installs, I said "NO" to the DNS and I believe that shouldn't be the problem though.

Please see the attached screenshot as well.

UC Error.JPG

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First thing to look at...you can set up a cluster without using DNS; however, can you confirm how you have your servers configured via:

CU Admin > System Settings > Cluster

You should configure both servers by IP address as opposed to Host Name.  You also need to add the Subscriber entry BEFORE attempting to add the node to the cluster.

With that said, I would highly recommend that you skip 7.0 and instead install 7.1(3) and specifically 7.1(3b)SU2.  If your servers are defined correctly, you may wish to open a TAC case but I suspect your "fix" may ultimately be to rebuild the cluster from scratch.  If it comes to that, I'd go the 7.1 route.  7.0 was riddled with bugs.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

David, I think you nailed it! it was a mistake on my part for using host names instead of ip address, without a dns is a no brainer indeed. You know it's one of those things that you sometime miss and you know you did it wrong but wait for someone else to spot it for you, I guess we all get lazy sometimes, lol. I haven't tried it yet but am sure this must be the issue, if not then this part needs correction anyways. As for the version goes, this is only for labbing and testing purposes, not a production deal. But I agree with you for what you've recommended for production. +5 for you, my friend!!

cheers!

I've changed the hostnames to IP addresses now in the Cluster via Publisher GUI, and performed a fresh install of the Subscriber, still failing at the same. Do I need to restart any services in particular after that (or) restart the whole Pub server would help. I wonder if there is anywhere else I need to change hostnames to IP addresses. Also I am sure on the Pub install I didn't enable dns server, but is there a CLI command to disable it afterwards? (I'm guessing we are looking into a rebuild for this pesky option to change).

please help if you can.

Thanks

Well, changing the hostname wasn't what I was referring to. If you've already done that though, you need to reboot the Publisher if you haven't done so already..

You need to change the APPLICATION name of the server - inside the CUAdmin settings - not anything related to the OS on the cluster. You want both the Pub and Sub to be referenced by IP within the application.

techguy73 - Did you ever resolve this issue?  Running into the exact same situation with 8.5 except my error message has more of a detailed desciption.  "Command "/opt/cisco/install/bin/pmNormalizeGeneric /etc/opt/cisco/install/componet_install_cmd_list" has exceeded timed threshold of 7200 seconds"

Within the Cluster settings, I changed from hostname to IP address for Publisher and added the Subscriber as IP address.

Thanks,

Dan

yes, but on version 7.1, and not 7.0. You'll have to add the subscriber ip address on the publisher using gui before you complete the install of the subscriber for forming a cluster, since it checks for that reference during the install for a successful completion, otherwise throws an error.

hope this helps

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: