cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 problems-booting old image?

DejanMilicevic
Level 1
Level 1

We have ASA 5510 running 8.2(2) image on asdm-631. When we upgraded from ver 7 to 8.3 we used command ASA5510# rename asa706-k8.bin asa706-k8.old. After upgrade to 8.3 version and asdm-6.3 we didn't accomplished to ping outside interface, make vpn to work, although we permitted everything. So we decided to downgrade to 8.2(2) version with same asdm-6.3 and after few modifications (vpn,NAT,access lists) everything worked fine.

But just one day :-(.

The problem is that ASA booted old 706-k8.bin version and asdm-5.0. The whole room is on UPS and I don't think it's a power failure?

Cant it reboot by it self for some reason?

We used command boot system disk0:/asa8.2−k8.bin , asdm image disk0:/asdm−6.3.bin and wr to write to memory.

And the same problem after rebooting happend when there was 8.3 version. After power failure maybe or just by it self ASA booted old images?

What will happen if we erase all images and asdm and leave just 8.2 and 6.3 version.

I don't know what to do?Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

What is the exact command did you try to remove the old boot statement?

Please try "no boot system disk0:/"image name"". You can verify the current

statements by issuing "show run boot". To answer your second question, you

can certainly remove all other images and leave only 8.2 image in there.

Regards,

NT

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Before setting the new boot image, did you remove the line that was

specifying old image? If you did not, then that could be one of the reasons.

In order to find out the reason for the restart, can you please post the

output of "show version" and "show crash" commands here?

Regards,

NT

What's the command for removing old image (no boot image or ...I tried that but it isn't accepted by ASA). What will happen if I remove all images from disk and leave just 8.2 version. The problem is that I can go tomorrow on the site to take sh run and config. But I belive you are right for not removing old image from booting. What I shoud do?

Hello,

What is the exact command did you try to remove the old boot statement?

Please try "no boot system disk0:/"image name"". You can verify the current

statements by issuing "show run boot". To answer your second question, you

can certainly remove all other images and leave only 8.2 image in there.

Regards,

NT

Thanks for quick answers. I will go tomorrow on site and grab sh run and  other info to discuss.

Tips for 8.3  version: The NAT is different, network objects with network ranges are  great thing,...BUT I found that this version has higher security because  we couldn't ping outside interface, vpn didn't work, etc. (we permited  everything, icmp on policy, acl on outside interface...). When we  downgrade on 8.2(2) version ASA erased NAT and some acl with network  object (ranges), and after configuring with old way everything worked  like a charm till above problem.

I am new to ASA and maybe I just didn't write the right line, but I think that 8.2 version is stable for working.

After sh run boot I noticed that 8.2 and 8.3 versions are both there for booting. With no boot system disk0:/8.3 I removed it. ASA is still working without any problem.I hope that there won't be any problems.
Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: