Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with PGW in call control mode

bthomas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Need help with PGW configuration in Call Control Mode.I am looking for simple call scenarios for the following setup :

-PRI (mgcp)

-SS7 to IP

I was able to make calls in Signalling Mode with AS5400 acting as a SLT (following Cisco documentation).Can I add the control mode configuration over this configuration.I would like to keep the Signaling Channels seperate on a 28xx box and Bearer Channels on a AS5400.

What are the important points I need to look for?

Thanks in advance

BT

8 Replies 8

mstormi
Level 1
Level 1

Basically, how to setup a specific signalling channel is independent from whether you're using

PGW in signalling or call control mode.

So you would keep your working SLT config.

Your description is unclear as to what you want to change hardware-wise and why.

Usually there's no point in separating SS7 and bearer onto two boxes unless you're a carrier with some signalling and many bearer channels.

With one E1 with signaling-only and another E1 with bearer-only your setup will still fail if *either* of these E1s or boxes fails. If you want redundancy, you need more hardware and a more complex setup.

rgds

MS

Thanks MS for your inputs.

We are in the initial stages of testing and would scale in future.And yes we plan to have multiple 54xx on the network.We want to keep the Dial-plans simple and control it from the PGW rather than the 54xx.

Can I go ahead with the PGW setup in both Signalling and Call control mode and if so what are the configuration steps I need to follow on the PGW.Cisco doc is not clear for the Call Control mode.Do you have any sample configuration or links that I can follow for the PGW in Call Control mode.

Thanks in advance

Regards

BT

Thanks MS for your inputs.

We are in the initial stages of testing and would scale in future.And yes we plan to have multiple 54xx on the network.We want to keep the Dial-plans simple and control it from the PGW rather than the 54xx.

Can I go ahead with the PGW setup in both Signalling and Call control mode and if so what are the configuration steps I need to follow on the PGW.Cisco doc is not clear for the Call Control mode.Do you have any sample configuration or links that I can follow for the PGW in Call Control mode.

>

Thanks in advance

>

Regards

BT

I never tried signaling mode, I think there was some XECfgParm.dat parameter you

need to change to turn PGW into call control mode (see Installation Guide).

Call control mode means you need to configure per-call voice routing,

i.e. you need to setup dialplans on PGW.

Signaling mode, i.e. static ingress-to-egress port mapping, is just a special

case of voice routing, isn't it ? So you just need to setup a "1:1" dialplan to keep

your existing functionality. For anything else, go read the "Dialplan Guide".

For an easier start, you could try to use the VSPT tool. Downloadable on CCO (not sure

if you need any license meanwhile ... it's a long time I tried it and back then it was

still for free). It's essentially a GUI to help you generate dialplans.

rgds

MS

Thanks MS for your suggestions

Regards

BT

Have a look at the following  sample configs.

Cisco PGW 2200 Provisioning Examples

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/pgw/9/provisioning/notes/NASPKpgw.html

After looking at the configs it should make clear the differences between the two different modes of opperation.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Have managed to get the call control mode up but I am having a problem with the calls now.Incoming calls from PSTN works with Asterisk SIP Proxy.Outgoing calls from Asterix is not working though.

I tried the setup with CCME router(sccp phones attached) with a SIP trunk pointing to the PGW.Both Incoming and Outgoing calls fail in this scenario.I can see the calls landing on the router with a SIP error of 404 (bad message) and error code 484(address incomplete) for outgoing calls.

What could be the issue.For some reason I think the SIP headers are not being read correctly by the PGW.Is there any configuration that needs to be changed on the PGW.Please help.

For Outgoing calls:

*Oct 26 07:29:21.502: //285/9580DCBE81C6/SIP/Info/act_recdproc_new_message_response: Received a 4/5/6xx message with StatusCode: 484
*Oct 26 07:29:21.502: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/SIP/Info/ccsip_set_release_source_for_peer: ownCallId[285], src[4]

For Incoming calls:

*Oct 26 10:20:03.189: //286/6E3419DB81CA/SIP/Error/sipSPIGetContentSDP: Error 1 while parsing SDP
*Oct 26 10:20:03.193: //286/6E3419DB81CA/SIP/Info/sipSPIContinueNewMsgInvite: ccsip_api_call_setup_ind returned: SIP_MSG_PARSE_ERR

econneely
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Biju

First thing to say is that the PGW can operate in either Signalling (Nailed) mode or Call Control (Switched) mode - not both at the same time. One or the other. The setting is made in the XECfgParm.dat file. Look for the parameter:

engine.SysVirtualSwitch =           1      # 0=Nailed-Up, 1=Switched-MGC, 2=Switched-JCS

Ignore option 2. The above setting is for Call Control.

Let me know how this affects your requirements.

bthomas123
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everybody for the posts...Our setup is working fine now !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: