Views
Helpful
Replies

supervisor Engine IOS upgrade

sivakumar_ks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I recently replaced a faulty supervisor engine in CISCO 4507 edge switch. What I noticed is that replacement came with new IOS version and booted up in standby cold state and my configuration is SSO which is standby hot. So how do I upgrade the IOS so that both the supervisor has similar IOS version.

M MAC addresses                    Hw  Fw           Sw               Status
-+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------
1 0014.6aec.fb80 to 0014.6aec.fb85 1.0 12.2(31r)SGA 12.2(53)SG       Ok
2 0014.6aec.fb86 to 0014.6aec.fb8b 2.4 12.2(31r)SGA 12.2(31)SGA1     Ok
3 0015.2b5d.55da to 0015.2b5d.55df 1.1                               Ok

od  Redundancy role     Operating mode      Redundancy status
---+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
1   Standby Supervisor  RPR                 Standby cold
2   Active Supervisor   RPR                 Active

Above I have copied and pasted the show module output. Also I come across this article , which tells about IOS upgrade in 6500 supervisor. But I am not sure just by copying IOS to standby supervisor will change its boot configuration , so guide me what else do I need to do.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3917

Thanks a lot.

Siva.

How to copy the image to the standby bootflash in Catalyst 6000 / 6500 series switches with redundant supervisors

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Siva,

You can do the same with 4500 series.  Copy the image from master to salve (stand-by).  Once that is done change the boot variable in the stand-by sup and reboot.  Once the stand-by is on line you should be in SSO mode

Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25sg/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1104060

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card