Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client error 412

staticbob
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I'm using Cisco VPN 4.6.00.0049 to connect to a company VPN. When I am  on any other network connection outside of the office, I can connect to  the VPN just fine.

However, now I am actually sat in the office where the VPN is hosted, I am getting the following error when trying to connect...

Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the Client.
Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

- I am in the office and connecting to the "dirty external internet  wireless type connection". I am a contractor, so I can't just plug into  the office network.
- I am running the VPN client on a WinXP VPC hosted on my Win7 Laptop.
- I have internet access on the VPC and I can ping the VPN host.
- I have tried totally disabling firewalls from the WinXP VPC. No change.
- Other company users who have laptops can unplug from the network,  connect to the same wireless network and connect to VPN just fine,  apparently. I havent seen this testing myself, I'm just told it works.  Although I actually suspect that the company users would be connecting  to the standard wireless network not the "dirty external".

- If I went outside and walked about 20 yards to the local McDonalds  and connected there, I would have no problems with the current  configuration.

Can anybody point me inthe right direction for this please?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you connecting to the company's provided wireless connection? If you are, you might want to check with the company's IT as the wireless network might still be connected to the company internal network, hence connecting to the VPN fails. When you actually use wireless connection which does not belong to the company's wireless (ie: Mac Donald wireless) it works, which proves that the company wireless is somehow still connected via their internal network that prevents the VPN connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: