Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Serial interface on Router

nimalrajphilips
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a requirement of connecting 21 serial interface to a Cisco Router. How can I acheive this?

Basically, We have 21 Satellite modems which has serial interface at LAN side. I want to connect them to a single router. Can i connect 6 numbers 4-port Cisco Serial modules connected to any Cisco Router and acheive this? If the, what are the models i have to use?

If not, how can i acheive this?

BR

Nimalraj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nimalraj,

I have personally used 2811 with 2 of these hwics , so if it helps, two definately works with no problem

sorry i cannot give you confirmation on 3rd.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Julio Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

you could use 2921 routers and HWIC-4T

its not good to have everything on 1 router when you are connecting to 21 serial connections.

have 2 x  cisco 2921   -- with 3 x HWIC-4T on each

this should give you 24 serial capacity total  , and interconnect the 2921 with a cat 6 cable for gig-e connectivity between them.

Note : if you are doing vpn/ipsec , you need buy the license on 2921 too to unlock it with activation key, like how you upgrade a firewall license.

Hello Rob,

I was thinking about a similar option. I thought to use 5 x HWIC-4T and 1 X HWIC-1T. I have two options.

1. Cant i use any of the 2800 series router? Will there be any issue on HWIC support. As per the following link, HWIC-4T is upported by 2800 series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps6182/product_data_sheet0900aecd80274416.html

2. Are there any limitation on using 12 or 16 serial port on single router..?

Regards

Nimalraj

Hi Nimalraj,

I have personally used 2811 with 2 of these hwics , so if it helps, two definately works with no problem

sorry i cannot give you confirmation on 3rd.

Hello,

thanks alot for the confirmation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: