Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial interface...???

abhi-adte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I observe in serail interface have common line i.e. DCD=up  DSR=up  DTR=up  RTS=up  CTS=up?? what is mean this and use.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Abhinay,

These are control signals (dedicated wires in the cable) used in serial interfaces that describe the state of two interconnected devices.

• DCD - Data Carrier Detect. Commonly used with analog modems, this signal is set by a modem if a successful connection has been established with the opposite modem (a carrier wave has been detected). I am not sure if there is any sensible meaning for this signal when using serial interconnections directly between two routers.
  • DSR - Data Set Ready, DTR - Data Terminal Ready. Each of this signals is used by one end of a serial connection to announce its readiness (whether the device is activated). One end of a serial link sets the DSR and verifies the DTR, the other end does this in the opposite manner. Usually, a router is called Data Terminal while a modem is called Data Set.
  • RTS - Request To Send, CTS - Clear To Send. These two signals are used for hardware flow control to enable both devices on a serial link to announce their readiness to accept data.

You may find detailed information if you look for details on RS-232.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Abhinay,

These are control signals (dedicated wires in the cable) used in serial interfaces that describe the state of two interconnected devices.

• DCD - Data Carrier Detect. Commonly used with analog modems, this signal is set by a modem if a successful connection has been established with the opposite modem (a carrier wave has been detected). I am not sure if there is any sensible meaning for this signal when using serial interconnections directly between two routers.
  • DSR - Data Set Ready, DTR - Data Terminal Ready. Each of this signals is used by one end of a serial connection to announce its readiness (whether the device is activated). One end of a serial link sets the DSR and verifies the DTR, the other end does this in the opposite manner. Usually, a router is called Data Terminal while a modem is called Data Set.
  • RTS - Request To Send, CTS - Clear To Send. These two signals are used for hardware flow control to enable both devices on a serial link to announce their readiness to accept data.

You may find detailed information if you look for details on RS-232.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card