Aironet 1142 In Home Configuration

Answered Question
Sep 6th, 2010
User Badges:

A client of ours was having problems connecting to their terminal server environment wireless from home. I've narrowed it down to their wireless network at home. An Aironet 1142 was purchased to be placed on their home network to ensure that wireless connectivity would not be an issue going forward.

I'm in the process of configuring it for use, but I'm unable to connect to the web interface and I don't have a rollover cable handy to get to the console. It's currently connected directly to a typical in home cisco switch (not a managed switch). I'm also connected via ethernet. I've confirmed that the WAP pulls an IP address from the DHCP server, but the LED indicator on it is flashing red, green, and amber. The setup guide mentions that it'll do that if it can't reach the management box, but in a home network I'm not really sure what that would indicate.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I was instructed to have it delivered to the client's home by 8am tomorrow...

-Matt

Correct Answer by Elliott Shawd about 6 years 10 months ago

So, it's a lightweight AP? And you need to convert to IOS?

Download an IOS image

Set your comp ethernet IP to 10.0.0.2

Set up comp as TFTP server using the ethernet interface

Drop IOS image into TFTP folder and rename file to: c1140-k9w7-tar.default

Connect LAP to comp using ethernet

Turn on LAP while holding the reset button in

Wait until lights turn red

LAP will download firmware and reload

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
mfields81 Mon, 09/06/2010 - 17:29
User Badges:

Should have read a little better before posting. Looks like this problem was addressed here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2040101

Second topic: I need to download an autonomous IOS for it, but the only ones I see in the downloads section are autonomous to lightweight mode upgrade images. Any suggestions?

Correct Answer
Elliott Shawd Mon, 09/06/2010 - 21:22
User Badges:

So, it's a lightweight AP? And you need to convert to IOS?

Download an IOS image

Set your comp ethernet IP to 10.0.0.2

Set up comp as TFTP server using the ethernet interface

Drop IOS image into TFTP folder and rename file to: c1140-k9w7-tar.default

Connect LAP to comp using ethernet

Turn on LAP while holding the reset button in

Wait until lights turn red

LAP will download firmware and reload

mfields81 Mon, 09/06/2010 - 21:36
User Badges:

I downloaded IOS: c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JA1

Do I need to have it in a specific directory on my PC to upload via TFTP, or will it just pick it up? I know I need to have hidden files shown, but I've never updated the IOS on a Cisco device. (Paper CCNA :/ )

And I won't need to do anything via command line or Hyper Terminal to force the update?

Thanks for the reply

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content