Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VSS crashed

mj11
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone was able to help with the following: I have a pair of 6500 in VSS mode, the active 6500 crashed and the second unit has taken over as expected. Now I am unable to SSH to the active VSS member. The switches are running 12.2(33)SXI3. I had thought maybe the crash was part of the problem, is there a tool on the Cisco site to see the bug that caused the crash, as this says it was a software forced crash.

%Software-forced reload

Breakpoint exception, CPU signal 23, PC = 0x42734E38

Traceback= 41BBD3FC 41BBF094 41BBF51C 41358338 41358324

Also I am seeing the following in the LOG:

SSH2 0: RSA_sign: private key not found

SSH2 0: signature creation failed, status -1

Regards MJ

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi MJ,

There is well know bug in SXI3 with SSH key corruption and when the box in upgraded and/or crashed the SSH FQDN in lost.  I would open a TAC case immediately so Cisco can keep track of it.  If you have a lab and can test SXI4a test it and upgrade.

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I am not able to test the new image. I am running the SXI3 as this is safe harbour and would like to stay on the safe harbour releases. I think SXI4 will be the next safe harbour release but will check with Cisco.

Regards MJ

Hi MJ,

This is strictly my opinion, but to me safe harbor release does not proof anything.  All of these images are brand new and I have no idea how Cisco can make a code "safe harbor" when it is it only a few months old with limited use.    As matter of fact, at one point, a few months ago SXI2 was "safe harbor" but the next thing you know it was differed, because of major bug issues and crashes.

Here are a couple of know bugs in SXI3 that was resolved in SXI4 and 4a.

HTH

Reza

* CSCsh51293-Resolved in 12.2(33)SXI4

The Secure Shell server (SSH) implementation in Cisco IOS contains multiple vulnerabilities that allow unauthenticated users the ability to generate a spurious memory access error or, in certain cases, reload the device.

* CSCsg65318-Resolved in 12.2(33)SXI4

Symptoms: Malformed SSH version 2 packets may cause a memory leak.

Conditions: This symptom is observed on a Cisco platform configured for SSH version 2 after it has received malformed SSHv2 packets. The impact of this flaw is that the affected platform may operate in a degraded condition. Under rare circumstances it may reload to recover itself.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card