Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 887 using CP express - aal5snap 1483 bridging - DHCP failure

David Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm testing a new CPE device for possible deployment in ADSL environments.  Right off the bat I'm struck by something odd.  One of my test environments is actually my home connection.  My DSL provider has a bridged modem at my home to terminate the ADSL.  My ethernet based router that sits behind the modem sends out its DHCP request, I authenticate the mac via a web proxy, reload the router and away we go.  When I put the Cisco 887 in place and configure it with the CP Express software, ADSL comes up, ATM comes up, I send DHCP according to debug but I get nothing back that I can tell.

What strikes me as odd is the cli config generated by the CP express software.  In this type of deployment, I would expect to see the BVI interface, all the irb stuff, yada yada.  I don't see any of that.  The CP express software put the ip address dhcp command right on the subint that it created for pvc 0/35.  My concern is that it is not working because this is not right, but at the same time I think, how could Cisco make something so obviously wrong and then I go down the path of maybe they changed the command structure.  I included the config.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  BTW this is running 15.0(1)M3 advanced security code.

Current configuration : 144 bytes
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip flow ingress
no atm ilmi-keepalive
!
end

david.williams#show run int atm0.1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 195 bytes
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
description $ES_WAN$$FW_OUTSIDE$
ip address dhcp
ip flow ingress
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
  pvc 0/35
  encapsulation aal5snap
!
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello David,

the configuration produced by the CP express is clearly wrong as you have noted

I realize I'm becoming old because I'm out of the SDM /CP business

Best Regards

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Williams
Level 1
Level 1

FWIW I did get this working with a traditional irb config.  I guess the gui is just a failure.  I'm not sure why I bother with those darn things. 

Hello David,

the configuration produced by the CP express is clearly wrong as you have noted

I realize I'm becoming old because I'm out of the SDM /CP business

Best Regards

Giuseppe

I know what you mean Giuseppe.  I try to stay open and give the SDM/CP a chance when the opportunities present but it always seems like they fall short somehow and I'm right back to the cli.  That's ok.  I like the cli.

Thanks for the input.  It confirms my suspicions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco