cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bricked an 871

wmvbrandt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks. I bought an 871 so that I could use CCP to configure it, not wanting to delve into the mysteries of IOS. However it appears I'll be forced to do so. I lost the login name (though I knew the password) to the 871, which was working well, so I decided to reset it to regain access. I would have sworn that the instructions said to hold the reset button for 5 seconds on boot but apparently that clears whatever resident app is in firmware. Now I can't access the router from CCP nor CCA. The router appears to be reset to a very base--I'd call it inert--state where absolutely nothing is configured. I do have console access through the serial port. Is there any way to regain access via CCP/CCA? How can I bring the router back to where it was?

2 Replies 2

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can try pointing a web browser to 10.10.10.1 to see if the SDM interface comes up and if it does, there is a factory reset button there you can try.

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bill,

Just to add to Steve's comments, if you find you cannot get access to the ISR871.

I would use the console cable that came with the unit and check the status of the operating system on the unit. If you see a rommon prompt, you know the unit is not loading its IOS operating system.

If your password got lost and your not in rommon mode with a rommon prompt, you could try the following link.  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/193005

But, If you just purchased the unit, why not avail yourself of the 90 day warranty support and get in contact with our traditional TAC services, see URL below.  They will probably ask you to have a console cable connected to the unit. So find an old PC with a console connection or buy a USB to serial dongle.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html

regards Dave

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card