QVPN for Linux?

Unanswered Question
Sep 7th, 2010

Is there a QVPN Client equivalent for Linux?

After some struggles, I have QVPN working properly on my laptop, and when running under Vista it will connect to my WRVS4400N.  However, I run Ubuntu Linux most of the time (it's a dual boot laptop) and it would be great to have a native QVPN clone for Linux that works with the WRVS4400N.

QVPN running under under Linux Wine will connect but it requires an IP address (vs. a domain name) to connect, and once connected it fails with ping problems.  I have QVPNworking properly in an Oracle Virtualbox Linux Host and a Vista Guest machine, but as always Vista is slow, buggy, etc.

I have explored the various options inside the Linux network connection manager, (anyconnect, VPNC, StrongSwan, OpenVPN, PPTP) and none of them offer the same sort of username, password, and certificate mechanism that it required by QVPN and the WRVS4400N.

So does Cisco or any other supplier have a QVPN clone / equivalent for Linux that will work with the WRVS4400N?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
brasakai Tue, 09/07/2010 - 08:03

For Linux, you can use a standard VPN client.  Even for Windows, you can use a 3rd party client like Greenbow with Cisco Small Business VPN routers.

ethanfharris Tue, 09/07/2010 - 15:41

Thanks for the reply, but I'd rather not purchase a VPN client when linux has a number of opensource cllients available.  What I am lacking is any documentation or guidance from Cisco regarding how to configure a linux client.  Are you familiar with the linux network manager applet?  see:  http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/   It supports the following VPN types:

1. Cisco Anyconnect Compatible VPN (openconnect) ~ compatible with Cisco Anyconnect SSL VPN
  2. Cisco Compatible VPN (vpnc) ~ compatible with various Cisco, Juniper, Netscreen, and Sonicwall IPSec-based VPN Gateways
  3. IPSec/IKEv2 (strongswan) ~ IPsec with IKEv2 key exchange protocol
  4. OpenVPN ~ Compatible with the OpenVPN server
  5. Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) ~ Compatible with Microsoft and other PPTP VPN Servers

In reviewing these various client types, I am not sure which one to use, where to install the client certificate, etc.  Some of these client methods require a specific flavor of 3DES, authentication, and other protocol/parameter settings.  Excuse the rant, but Cisco is clearly remiss in not providing clients for all popular OS's, or at a minimum for not providing documentation that would enable the WRVS4400N VPN functions to be used with clients other than QVPN and OS's other than Windows.

In Windows, QVPN requres a username, password, server address, port, and installing the client certificate .PEM in the appropriate directory, disabling block WAN request in the router, etc. ~ but all of the protocols and configuration details that are being used are undocumented making it difficult to impossible properly use or configure a client other than QVPN.

Has anyone at Cisco (or a participant in this forum) used a Linux  client to connect to the WRVS4400N?  If so, how should it be  configured?

dwmw2.... Wed, 09/08/2010 - 05:16

Hi, I'm the author of openconnect. I don't know anything about QVPN, but openconnect certainly does use the certificate/username/password that you mention. If you (can) connect to the HTTPS port (port 443) of the VPN server, it's possibly something that openconnect can work with.

Please come to the openconnect-devel mailing list and we'll try to make it work.

LorentzTobias Fri, 12/03/2010 - 00:01

is there any update available on this topic, because getting a VPN connection to my WRV200 from ubuntu 10.10 would be very helpfull.

I am not so familiar with the standard ubuntu vpn-clients, can anyone provide a howto manual if this is working with openconnect.

Kind Regards,

ethanfharris Fri, 12/03/2010 - 06:50

It has been months, and no response from anyone at Cisco about this.  Given the many releases it took Cisco to get QVPN to marginally work, I'm not surprised that Cisco has not taken on a project to port QVPN to other operating systems.  QVPN is a poorly designed dud.

FYI:  Linux Openconnect does not work with IPSec-based VPNs.  The linux IPSec code doesn't work with this Cisco box either, evidently because Cisco is doing something proprietary (non-compliance with global standards) during VPN connection setup.  So unless you use Windows, there is no way to use the VPN functions in the WRVS4400N or other similar small business products that share the same VPN firmware code.  Had I known there was no solution for Linux and that Cisco's equipment would only work with Cisco's Windows-only QVPN, I would not have bought the Cisco box.

Folks with Linux, Unix, MacOS, Android, PalmOS, etc. are simply out of luck - and from all appearances these rapidly growing market segments are being ignored.  Cisco has their head in the sand on this one.

Frankly, the WRVS4400N has stability issues and needs to be reset weekly, so I am disinclined to spend more money to buy the Greenbow IPSec VPN client just to make a somewhat flakey Cisco box work.  I need a reliable, stable VPN router that works with Linux, and without a response from Cisco I am now forced to look at products from other companies.  I'm a bit disappinted.

streaves Wed, 12/08/2010 - 14:44

Just want to 'officially' confirm that Linux support for QVPN is not on the road map.

Thanks for participating in the Small Business Support Community.

Stephanie Reaves

This Discussion

Related Content