cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change outside IP on a PPOE connection

brentwoodind
Level 1
Level 1

I have ot change the outside IP address on an ASA 5505.

It is setup as a PPOE.

If I change the IP on that VLAN do I need to reset the PPOE for that interface?  Or just change the IP?

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brent,

If I understand your question correctly, the ASA is currently configured for PPPoE and you need the change the IP address on the firewall (i.e. PPPoE will still be used after the address is changed). Is that correct?

PPPoE is used by the ASA to dynamically assign the IP address once the firewall dials in. So, if the ASA is already configured for PPPoE, you or your ISP would need to change the configuration on the server side to reflect the new IP address. No configuration changes should be required on the ASA, unless you are dialing in to a new PPPoE server.

This configuration example may help as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080ab7ce9.shtml

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Mike,

thanks.  I wanted to verify that.  the device has been setup for over a year.  And I cant remember exactly what I did.  It is in thailand, and the local ISP changed the external IP address.  I cannot get a correct answer from the local shop if they changed the ADSL modem from bridged mode before the change, or after.

I was able to instruct them to connect the serial cable and the PPOE conenction states no IP address assigned.  So that reminded me that I did not statically set one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card