Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection 7.x- New Voicemail Notification on Gmail account

Nirmal Paria
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

My customer requirement to forward the new voicemail to their Gmail Account. I did the email notfication to MS outlook account by configuring smart host.

Can I do same way for gmail account. (my customer is using enterprise gmail)

Product: CUCM 6.1 & Cisco Unity Connection 7.x.

Please help me on this regards.

Thanks & regards,

Nirmal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Google will never accept messages like that.  They won't be your smart host.  You need to provide an email server that you control that will accept messages from UC.  Google will just reject them because otherwise everyone would send spam that way.

Talk to your companies email server guys and tell them you need them to relay messages for you.  They can set it up securely on thier end to accept messages just from this one server.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. If you have configured a Smart Host for SMTP relay. Unity Connection will send the SMTP email to the host. Everything beyond that is out of Unity's control. Make sure that that Smart Host will accept and relay mail into your Gmail environment.

What Jonathan suggests is likely the best option today for gmail integration with UC.  If Gmail were capable of imap polling you could get a bit more fancy but I don't think thats possible.

For now your best option is either accept and relay or just relay if you don't want to get the VM's though the telephone anymore.  We'll form an email message and hand it off to your smart host, the smart host is then responsible for moving it to the correct external mail domain and getting it delivered.

Whatever your smart host is should have some good logs for troubleshooting if the messages aren't arriving at gmail.

I would like to have some clarification on the same. My Client is using the Google enterprise email (username@companyname.com) for all email exchange. There is no exchange/IBM lotus Server in their environment. I do not have any knowledge about Google Enterprise Email environment and how it works.

I am thinking I will be getting one fully qualified email server name. Will do need to put the Unity Connection on domain?

Could you please share any docs to refer.

Thanks in advance.

The domain on your UC server should be hostname.domainname

So for a server called UC1 at cisco.com we'd set the domain name on that UC server to uc1.cisco.com.  It needs to not be the same as whatever email address domain you use for regular email.

So my UC account might be say anmcbrid@uc1.cisco.com and then you'd configure my message settings for forward to anmcbrid@google.com

When a new message gets left for me UC looks at my message settings, sees the anmcbrid@google.com as where I want a copy and forwards email (voicemail) to the smart host which then relays it to google for final delivery.

Hi Team,

I am integrating Unity Connection 7.1 with Enterprise Gmail (username@clientname.com) to configure email notification (Accepted & Relay option) for new voicemail.

I did the following configuration:

SMTP Smart Host : smtp.gmail.com

Email Action: accepted & relay

to username@clientname.com

It did not work.

Plesae let know if I missedout anything.

if you set and collect SMTP micro traces from the UC server, you'll be able to confirm if UC sent the message.  If so, then the problem is outside of UC and that's where your troubleshooting needs to begin.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Google will never accept messages like that.  They won't be your smart host.  You need to provide an email server that you control that will accept messages from UC.  Google will just reject them because otherwise everyone would send spam that way.

Talk to your companies email server guys and tell them you need them to relay messages for you.  They can set it up securely on thier end to accept messages just from this one server.

Thnaks for your quick response. I will check with Email Team.

Darryl Tyson
Level 1
Level 1

Regarding the notification  the gmail, I've always found that forwarding the email created more hassle with Message Waiting Lights (MWI)/Read UnRead status etc all been out of sync and that IMAP was a better solution.

Unfortunatally I could not find any IMAP client gadgets for gmail.   So I have created a little gmail gadget for a single pane view of voicemail and gmail which also has the ability to hit the save button and it will then send the voicemail via email to the configured gmail account.   Currently a concept but running on Amazon Web Services with 99.999% uptime.

More in this post - https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3303047#3303047

Tested with Cisco Unity Connection 7 and works fine.

coryalbert
Level 1
Level 1

Here is how you do it:

"

If your printer, scanner, or application can be configured to send SMTP messages, you can configure it to send mail using the Google Apps mail servers.

If your device or application does not support SSL, connect to aspmx.l.google.com on port 25.

You must configure an SPF record for your domain with the IP address of the device or application to ensure that recipients do not reject mail sent from it. You must also add this IP address to the Email Whitelist box in your Google Admin console. For example. if your sending device sends from 123.45.67.89, add that address to your SPF record without removing the Google Apps mail servers from the record:

v=spf1 ip4:123.45.67.89 include:_spf.google.com ~all

"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: