cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP v H323 sub equipt E1

lambshack
Level 1
Level 1

When designing Call amanager solution, if I only have 8 channels of Q931 available on an E1 interface, should I use H323 or MGCP?

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

H.323 or SIP. Last I checked MGCP does not support franctional circuits without a sloppy workaround using a UCM service parameter.

Correct.  With MGCP, it isn't officially supported.  It works if you need to busy out the extra channels in CM, and disable CCM config server (no ccm-manager config).

Just to follow on ,  I`m sure it is supported now . Also configure the GW as normal using the ccm-manager config to downlaod the MGCP packages and no the commend, then reconfiure the Controller with the actaul number of time slots you wish- no need to busy the channels in CUCM

iptuser55 wrote:

Just to follow on ,  I`m sure it is supported now . Also configure the GW as normal using the ccm-manager config to downlaod the MGCP packages and no the commend, then reconfiure the Controller with the actaul number of time slots you wish- no need to busy the channels in CUCM

It is still not supported as of recent versions of software.  I can confirm this.  Documentation for this is here:

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/voice/showcase?case=K14305072

What you are giving is incorrect advice.  If you don't busy the channels out in CM, then for outbound calls, since q.931 is handled by CM and note the gateway, CM will try to set the call up on channel 23, which won't be available on the provider side and the call will fail.

Go ahead and try it.  You'll run into issues unless you use the service parameter, disable config server, and manually configure the PRI group for a fractional PRI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: