Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems: Ethernet Disonnected??

I have a quick question for the forums:

One of our employees has left the business, and a new employee has been hired in her position.  I went into CUCM, and added a new End User.  I added the primary device, but it didn't seem that anything had happened.  So I set his password for him, and it wouldn't work for him.  It was as if the user name I set up had no ties or association to the phone.  So I went into the old account associated with that phone, and looked things over and noticed that it says Primary Directory Number is still x444.  So I went back into the new account, and selected 444 as primary DN for the new user, and ever since then the phone reads Ethernet Disconnected.  I haven't touched the switch, in fact, the phone is PoE and is still getting powered up from the Ethernet.  And I moved the phone to the Tech office here to test it where my phone is plugged in, and it reads "Ethernet Disconnected".  Does anyone have a suggestion?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried a different patch cable to the phone? 802.3af is provided on a separate pair of wires than the RX/TX pairs for 10/100 Ethernet. I have seen many patch cables degrade to the point that data doesn't pass but the PoE voltage still makes it through.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried a different patch cable to the phone? 802.3af is provided on a separate pair of wires than the RX/TX pairs for 10/100 Ethernet. I have seen many patch cables degrade to the point that data doesn't pass but the PoE voltage still makes it through.

Yes.  I've moved the phone to my office, unhooked my working phone, and hooked it into the associated phone and the same issue persists :Ethernet Disconnected.

Any other suggestions?

Glad to hear it's fixed.  It's amazing what users manage to due to phones.

Your suggestion of checking the wire was something I had already done.  However, you led me to believe my issues could be at Layer 1

, so I turned the phone upside down, and right there it was: one of the 8 prongs had popped out and was bent out of shape and shot all the heck!!

Thanks man!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: