cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uploading ASA and ASDM image file issue on 5550

Kristen Sims
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upload a new ASA image and ASDM file through via laptop attached to the management port and using the ASDM GUI. I choose the file through the Upgrade software from local computer, Click on Upload image and the Status reads "Please wait while ASDM is uploading the file. The upload process may take a few minutes." It reads 0%. This will stay like this for as long as I allow it to before I cancel it out. I receive no errors etc.

8 Replies 8

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you check if you have enough room on your disk0?

Or if a file with the same name exists?

I hope it helps.

PK

Images do not exist and I have 209 MB of free space on flash:

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kristen,

What version of ASA and ASDM is the firewall currently running and what versions are you trying to upload? Is there sufficient free space on the ASA's flash for the new images?

As a workaround, you can try uploading the files via the CLI and see if you run into the same problem. This link describes how to do that:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/admin_swconfig.html#wp1071183

-Mike

Thanks. Using CLI was my next step.

Currently running 8.0(4) and ASDM 6.1(3).

I'm going to 8.3(2) and 6.3(4). I did not see in any of the Readme docs where it says that I need to upgrade to something else before going to the above.

This is not yet in production. I am configuring it to replace our PIX 535's.

You can go to 8.3 from 8.0. the same for ASDM.

PK

I am now consoled in and the tftp transfer begins, gets to

"Writing file disk0:/asdm-634.bin....." and then I receive the error

%Error opening disk0:/asdm-634.bin (Read-only File system)

??????

Hi Kristen,

You may want to try 'fsck disk0:' to check the file system for errors. If that doesn't work, you can use 'format disk0:' to completely re-format the flash. If you try this, make sure you have backups of your images and configs as this will erase all the files on the flash.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Disk checked ok. I submitted a TAC case before I get into formating the disk etc.

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card