Using mini gbic to stack 2 SGE2010`s

Answered Question
Sep 8th, 2010

Hi,

Is there any major advantage of using the GBIC ports for stacking over the regular gb ports (24 and 48 I beleive?) in terms of performance, stability, etc?

Thanks

Neil

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by David Hornstein about 6 years 2 months ago

Hi Neil,

So to answer the question simply, there is no extra benefit in using mini GBICs (SFP) compared to a CAT6 cable to connect switches together in a stack.  Both copper or fiber connections  will sync at 1000Mb/sec.

The  only benefit of using mini GBICs or SFP;s is if the connection between the switches are beyond 100 meters or 328 feet.

But I am more than happy to connect switches together with CAT6 cables for stacking purposes, it's more cost effective.

regards Dave

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
David Hornstein Thu, 09/09/2010 - 09:20

Hi Neil,

So to answer the question simply, there is no extra benefit in using mini GBICs (SFP) compared to a CAT6 cable to connect switches together in a stack.  Both copper or fiber connections  will sync at 1000Mb/sec.

The  only benefit of using mini GBICs or SFP;s is if the connection between the switches are beyond 100 meters or 328 feet.

But I am more than happy to connect switches together with CAT6 cables for stacking purposes, it's more cost effective.

regards Dave

Actions

This Discussion