Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up new phone, user...

I've been assigned to the phones here, but my training was CCNA and has very little to do with VOIP phones.

The phone system here is seemingly complex.  There are alot of employees who are no longer with us, and there are alot of new employees.

In this scenario, I need to take a brand new phone out of the box, hook it up to an already existing good PoE connection, and program the user in.

What is the best way to handle this??  Add the user, and then the phone?  For example:

Searching DN for extension 444 brings up four results:

444 InternalPT

444 Classroom_AfterHr_PT

444 Classroom_PT

444 Classroom_BusHr_PT

I assume these are designed so that teachers don't get bothered during class hours, and it instead routes calls to their voicemail.  However, under some it lists device association as BATXXXXXXXXXXX, and under others it lists SEPXXXXXXXX (which I assume is the phone itself).  What is BAT, and what is the best way to set that up when adding a new user?  I need him to be extension 444.

Thanks so much in advance!

1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're LDAP integrated the user might be already created.

It really doesn't matter which one you create in 1st place, if you need, you can always go back and just change whatever you need.

From the info you gave you have ToD in place (that's 2 out of 4) the other 2 you need to find out what they're used for.

If you already have 4 DNs on different partitions you need to find out on which partition the new DN needs to be and also adjust the CSS's if necessary. Since this is overlapping you need to plan which 444 DN is the one you need to reach because you can only reach one of them.

Having the same DN in 4 partitions (with ToD) means that anyone can only reach one out of three at any given time (unless DNs in your phones also have a separate set of CSS's). If you add a new partition make that one out of four.

Adding a user and phone is no problem, but you need someone that really knows how the routing needs to be handled to avoid causing problems.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate