cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPTV with Cisco 4507R multicast issue!!!

ahmed.gadi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I want to implement Otrum IPTV, which works on multicast. I have cisco 4507R as core switch, whenever i enable multicast (dense mode) the cpu usage goes upto 60% for ever on core switch.

Does anyone has integrate IPTV to cisco 4507r over multicast, please help.

Regards...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

inshu.inshu
Level 1
Level 1

Ahmed,

How is it going with your core switch? Seems the issue resolved, if not try the below --

All you need to do is

• the      core switch has to be configured as IGMP querier,
    • interface       vlan vlan-id (Enter Vlan mode,IPTV Vlan)
    • ip       igmp snooping querier ; (Enable IGMP snooping       querier); and
  • the      access switches has to be configured for IGMP snooping & fast leave      globally.

I tried this and is working for me without any issues with one of my clients network (4507R and 2960 switches)

H2H

Regards,

MI

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ahmed,

Have you tried enabling sparse-dense mode or just sparse mode and see if the CPU still goes up?

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza,

No i haven't tried sparse or sparse-dense mode. I will try it and will see the results.

Thanks

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ahmed,

check if you have any ip igmp join-group comands in your 4507R as this makes cpu to process multicast packets (it makes switch a real member of group)

show ver | inc image

show run | inc pim

show module

with C4507 the supervisor model counts

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you very much...

Actually we are having eid holidays here for a week, so i will posting update after 12th of Sept.

Thank..

Hi,

Please check attahced file for more information.

Regards

inshu.inshu
Level 1
Level 1

Ahmed,

How is it going with your core switch? Seems the issue resolved, if not try the below --

All you need to do is

• the      core switch has to be configured as IGMP querier,
    • interface       vlan vlan-id (Enter Vlan mode,IPTV Vlan)
    • ip       igmp snooping querier ; (Enable IGMP snooping       querier); and
  • the      access switches has to be configured for IGMP snooping & fast leave      globally.

I tried this and is working for me without any issues with one of my clients network (4507R and 2960 switches)

H2H

Regards,

MI

Hi Inshu,

No unfortunatley few days back the cpu goes up and now i am facing same issue.

I will elaborate few points, which i need some suggestion.

IPTV headend (from where IPTV channels are pushing to network) is in vlan 100

All IPTVs are also in vlan 100.

configuration on core switch

ip multicast-routing

!

int vlan 100

ip add 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

!

Please suggest me if this is correct design?

Do i need to keep IPTV headend into other vlan (lets say 101) and IPTV into vlan 100 ?

Your input is highly appreciated...

Regards

Ahmed...

Inshu,

can you please send me sample config?

Regards

Hi all,

I have upgraded IOS and enable ip igmp snooping querier on core switch where headend is connected and disable ip igmp snooping on all vlans except my IPTV vlan.

Now cpu usage came down to 20% average and can watch all channels without any distortion.

Thanks & Regards

Ahmed...

Hi all,

few more update about the scenario configuration.

After above configuration, all worked well for few days and same issue of channels scramble happened.I configure few other things in addition to above

1---"ip igmp snooping vlan 90 immediate-leave"  immediate-leave  on vlan of IPTV

2---"no ip igmp snooping tcn flood" [I could also notice a TCN event coinciding with one such scrambling issue we notice on the subscribers. As a result, we have enabled “no ip igmp snooping tcn flood” on all interfaces using range command].

Still under monitoring and no issue as of now. If anyone need sample config please contact me.

Regards

Ahmed...

Problem Solved working perfect no complaint from customer till now.

Hi Ahmed.

Can you please give the the configuration for core and access switch as i am facing same problem.

Regards

Hi Ahmed:

I'm deploying the same scenario with a 4507R and 2960Xs, may i get your configs as guide?

Thanks and regards.

Hi guys,

the configuration in CORE SW is to use :  ip pim sparse-dense-mode under IPTV vlan and put this command : 
ip multicast-routing
ip igmp immediate-leave group-list 15
ip igmp snooping tcn query solicit
ip igmp snooping querier address "iptv vlan ip address"

and take care if you want to use this command: ip multicast route-limit  check your ip mroute table before.

after doing those commands go and check processor cpu history in core sw.

Good luck for all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco