Access Point Specific Configurations

Answered Question
Sep 8th, 2010

Hi All,

just a question of a thumb...

If i had a 2 Controller Scenario with some AP Specific Configurations, for example AP Groups VLAN, and one Controller fails, the APs move to the other Controller. What about the specific config? Assume that the Controller Config (dyn Interfaces lets say) is correct.

Any Hint Welcome

BR, Michael

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by zhenningx about 6 years 2 months ago

If you keep specific configurations same on both controllers, in this example, if the backup controller has the same AP-Group, SSID configurations and same dynamic interface names with primary controller, when the AP join the backup controller, the AP will be put into the same AP-group and everything stays same for the AP. You don't have to configure APs on difference controllers. You only need to specify primary, backup controller and AP-Group for the AP from WCS.

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 6 years 2 months ago

But, do i have to connect and configure every AP to all Controllers in my Netwok and configure the same steps?

If you have more than one controller, you can copy the config from one fully functional config to the new one (just change the IP address).  You can also set Globally which one is the Primary and Secondary Controller.
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
MICHAEL SCHROEDER Wed, 09/08/2010 - 14:49

I mean, if the AP does not save any config in local mode, how does the Backup Controller know about the specific Config? Do i have to connect the AP to both Controllers and configure them separately? Or is there a smarter way?

BR, Michael

Leo Laohoo Wed, 09/08/2010 - 15:32

What I would always do is to configure one controller and then copy that configuration to the next controller and change the IP addresses.

Another method is to get a WCS.

MICHAEL SCHROEDER Wed, 09/08/2010 - 15:54

Nice. But, do i have to connect and configure every AP to all Controllers in my Netwok and configure the same steps? It seems to be not very smart. OK, WCS is an idea to make this Template based, but it doesnt preserve me from a lot of half-baked work.

BR, Michael

Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Wed, 09/08/2010 - 17:43

But, do i have to connect and configure every AP to all Controllers in my Netwok and configure the same steps?

If you have more than one controller, you can copy the config from one fully functional config to the new one (just change the IP address).  You can also set Globally which one is the Primary and Secondary Controller.
Correct Answer
zhenningx Wed, 09/08/2010 - 19:20

If you keep specific configurations same on both controllers, in this example, if the backup controller has the same AP-Group, SSID configurations and same dynamic interface names with primary controller, when the AP join the backup controller, the AP will be put into the same AP-group and everything stays same for the AP. You don't have to configure APs on difference controllers. You only need to specify primary, backup controller and AP-Group for the AP from WCS.

zhenningx Thu, 09/09/2010 - 18:54

How do you copy configuration from one controller to another? Can you share some details? Thanks.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content