Helpful
Replies

How to enable TELNET on ASA ?

vinayak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am new to networking & cisco

Can you tell me the command for remote telnet to firewall by using PUTTY software ???

My firewalls Ip is (175.172.10.2) which we natted on router to 1.1.1.2..

I want to access firewall from remote location ?? What the possibal command for that ?

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Telnet is not supported on the lowest security level interface (which i believe would be your ASA external interface).

If you would like to telnet to the ASA external interface, you would need to remote VPN to the ASA first.

Alternatively, you can SSH to the ASA external interface directly (TCP/22) and you would need to configure the IP address where you will be SSH from on the ASA.

Hope that answers your question.

Hello,

I want to telnet into my firewall using PUTTY software..

is it possibal ? if so what are the commands i need to fire in Firewall ?

thank you...

As advised earlier, it is not possible to TELNET directly to the ASA outside interface. You can only SSH to the ASA outside interface.

If you would like to TELNET to ASA outside interface, you would need to VPN in first prior to initiating the telnet connection.

Hello Vinayak,

You can enable telnet on inside/DMZ interfaces but not on outside. For

inside/DMZ, use the following commands:

telnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside

telnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dmz

This will enable telnet for all hosts on inside/dmz. If you want to be

specific, then

telnet aa.bb.cc.dd 255.255.255.255 inside

telnet xx.yy.zz.0 255.255.255.0 dmz

This will allow specific hosts/network telnet access.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hi Vinayak,

Here is the configuration guide that shows how to setup Telnet access to the firewall:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/access_management.html#wp1054101

However, as halijenn noted, you cannot access the firewall via Telnet on the lowest security interface. For that, you'll need to use SSH (also described in the link above) or connect via VPN first.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: