Views
Helpful
Replies

Pass non-ip traffic over ethernet

eduardochc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an Ethernet Network between 2 cities in Mexico, I'm using EIGRP protocol...I need to send non-ip traffic over that ethernet network, how can I do that?  The traffic is not very clear for me, is like TDM or something like that...is analog voice.... I have 2 routers 2801on each side, but there are more devices in the middle of the link as 3800 routers, L3 switches because is a very big private network and I need to pass through that devices to reach my destination and I don't  manage the middle points of the link.. Maybe I could use a tunnel with Ipsec or if somebody can help me with a suggestion and the configuration....

Thanks

Eddie

2 Replies 2

narainarun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eddie,

I assume that you only have access to two 2801 routers at each side of the location and the intermediate network is under others control. Do you run EIGRP between your sites or between 2801 and the private network. If you want to pass non-ip traffic between your two locations, then L2VPN is one of the option that you can look for. By this you can configure L2VPN network between two 2801 routers. This L2VPN is a virtual ethernet link between two locations and it looks one hop away between 2801 routers.

If the private network is totally IP enabled, then L2TPv3 is the choice. By this non-IP traffic is tunnled over L2TPv3 over IP private network.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801f66fa.shtml

If the private network is MPLS enabled, then Ethernet over MPLS is the choice. By this non-IP traffic is tunneled over EoMPLS over MPLS private network.

HTH

Arun

Hi Arun,

Yes, you're right, I only have access to the 2801 routers, and EIGRP runs on the all network (my routers and intermediate routers) but that is exactly that we want, that the link looks one hop away between each router, the network is totally IP enabled so I will use your option of L2TPv3 and thanks a lot for your advice.

Regards

Eddie.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card