Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest VLAN cannot ping gateway

Hi Sir,

I have an issue wherein my guest vlan cannot ping its gateway thus it cant go through the web auth page. I have been given an ip address with corresponding gateway, subnet and dns for the guest vlan. I have allowed all the vlans in the trunk port for wlc and ap connection.

wat do you think is the problem? hope you could help on this.

thanks.

Regards,

Neri

1 Reply 1

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Neri

The way this should work is that the client connects to the guest network and gets an IP address from DHCP. The DHCP configuration should include the default gateway and must include a DNS address.

When the client opens a web browser the browser tries to connect to the configured home page. This means that a DNS lookup is sent out and the controller intercepts it and forwards it on. Providing there is a response from the DNS server the controller will cause the client browser to re-direct to the web authentication login page.

It is therefore essential that the controller can see the DNS server. Forget the PING for now - DNS is a must. You can prove the rest of the system by ensuring the guest client has an IP address. Open the client browser and try and connect to http://1.1.1.1 (assuming your virtual interface on the controller is 1.1.1.1). If you get re-directed to the web authentication login page then the issue is a DNS issue.

Regards

Roger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: