cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimal WLC5508 CLI configuration to access the GUI?

Wilson Davis
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have on my desk a WLC-5508 that I need to setup to ship to a remote location. Normally we configure 4402 model and this model/version appears to be much different. I am trying to configure just enough via the command line to access the GUI via a laptop directly connected to the device. I’ve gone through the Wizard Configuration Tool where you set the hostname, admin account, and management interface (among other things). We use LAG and tagged VLAN on the management interface. I’ve been told in the past this is how we configured the 4402 models via laptop directly connected once the GUI is accessible, but with LAG enabled I don’t understand how a laptop could communicate via trunk, so I've disabled LAG and set the VLAN to untagged. In either case the laptop does not communicate with the WLC.

Skipping ahead to my current setup I see the following information via the CLI:

(Cisco Controller) show>interface detailed management

Interface Name................................... management
MAC Address......................................
IP Address....................................... 10.1.1.20
IP Netmask....................................... 255.255.255.0
IP Gateway....................................... 10.1.1.1
External NAT IP State............................ Disabled
External NAT IP Address.......................... 0.0.0.0
VLAN............................................. untagged 
Quarantine-vlan.................................. 0
Active Physical Port............................. 1        
Primary Physical Port............................ 1        
Backup Physical Port............................. Unconfigured

(Cisco Controller) >show stats port summary 1

Packets Received Without Error................... 0
Packets Received With Error...................... 0
Broadcast Packets Received....................... 0
Packets Transmitted Without Error................ 648
Transmit Packets Errors.......................... 0
Collisions Frames................................ 0
Time Since Counters Last Cleared................. 0 day 0 hr 53 min 38 sec

The laptop is configured with IP address 10.1.1.1/24 with default gateway set to the IP address of the WLC 10.1.1.20. The laptop is connected using a GLC-T SFP with a copper patch cable to port 1 of the 8 available SFP ports. Windows firewall is disabled on the laptop. The LED indicator is amber on port 1 and does not turn green. I’ve confirmed the web server is enabled on port 80 on the WLC. At this point I’m a little stumped as to why the laptop is not communicating with the WLC. Cisco documentation states that amber on the 1-8 ports indicates "Present with failure" so I'm wondering if I am using the correct GBIC? As well, on the laptop my connection status is as if the cable is unplugged. If I plug into the service port I am up and connected but I do not believe we use this port for anything and I cannot access the GUI or communicate with the WLC from this port.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you need to directly connect a laptop to the WLC, you would use the service port, and assign yourself an address in the subnet of the service port.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

lee.oswalt
Level 1
Level 1

I am not familiar with this device, but I will ask this anyway...

Are you certain the ethernet port is functioning?

You stated "port 1", how many ethernet ports are on the device?

Is this device configured as such:

1 Redundant port (RP) for future use (RJ-45)

1 Service port (RJ-45)

1 Console port (RJ-45)

I am not sure what "redundant port for future use is", but if I had to guess, I would say you have either a failed port, or the port is disabled by default.

Have you tried to use console CLI and enable the redundant or backup physical port?

Lee

Lee!

I was able to get everything working by throwing a switch in between the laptop and the wireless controller (which I didn't expect to be a problem).

Out of sheer curiosity, I would like to understand how to directly connect a Windows computer to the controller in the event a switch is not available.

If you need to directly connect a laptop to the WLC, you would use the service port, and assign yourself an address in the subnet of the service port.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Can you access the GUI though the service port? I can use only SSH, can you enable HTTPS?

yes Julio you can access the GUI thru the service port as long as it has an IP address and your laptop is on the same ip subnet.

if you were connecting to the service port it shouldn't be a problem but if you connected to the uplink port it can be since they are locked at full duplex and gigabit only so there is no negotiation, some laptops don't detect this and won't work, but it does if you hard set your laptop.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: