cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 2610 routers

RobFlynn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am learning computer networking but am having a little trouble.  I purchased 2 2610 routers, 2 4 a/s network modules, and 2 1ft serial DCE/DTE crossover cables.  My problem;  When I setup the interfaces on one router the status goes up and line prot goes up but after a few seconds the line prot goes down.  On the second router, it stays down no matter what.  I did a sho controllers and it is showing a v.35 cable (DTE and DCE).  Any suggestions would be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob,

Your configuration looks good.  What stands out as being troublsome follows:

From the show int:

Router_DTE>show int ser1/1
Serial1/1 is up, line protocol is down
  Last input never, output 00:00:09, output hang 00:04:19

Output hangs:

output hang

Number of hours, minutes, and seconds (or never) since the interface  was last reset because of a transmission that took too long. When the  number of hours in any of the last fields exceeds 24, the number of days  and hours is printed. If that field overflows, asterisks are printed.

This is also backed up from the show controllers for the same interface:

Router_DTE>show controllers ser1/1
CD2430 Slot 1, Port 1, Controller 0, Channel 1, Revision 19
Channel mode is synchronous serial
idb 0x815D0420, buffer size 1524, V.35 DTE cable

Transmitter hang count        450

I'm gonna guess that you may have a faulty module or cable.

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

On the router with the DCE interface did you configure the 'clock rate' command?

Something like this:

inter ser 0/0

clock rate 56000

exit

This link goes into more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_2/feature/guide/clkrate.html

Chris

Hi Chris,  I did set the clock rate on the DCE side.  I am attaching some

show info, maybe this will help.

I believe this link describes your situation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk317/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800944ff.shtml

If thats not helpful please post 'show controllers' and 'show run'.

Chris

Thanks Chris, did not help.  Attaching the controllers and run config.  Thanks for your help!!

Rob,

Your configuration looks good.  What stands out as being troublsome follows:

From the show int:

Router_DTE>show int ser1/1
Serial1/1 is up, line protocol is down
  Last input never, output 00:00:09, output hang 00:04:19

Output hangs:

output hang

Number of hours, minutes, and seconds (or never) since the interface  was last reset because of a transmission that took too long. When the  number of hours in any of the last fields exceeds 24, the number of days  and hours is printed. If that field overflows, asterisks are printed.

This is also backed up from the show controllers for the same interface:

Router_DTE>show controllers ser1/1
CD2430 Slot 1, Port 1, Controller 0, Channel 1, Revision 19
Channel mode is synchronous serial
idb 0x815D0420, buffer size 1524, V.35 DTE cable

Transmitter hang count        450

I'm gonna guess that you may have a faulty module or cable.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Is it normal that I can get the interface to go up on the DTE router and not on the DCE router, even if the module or cable is faulty?  I have tried 3 different cables, though they were all from the same ebay seller.  Anything else I could try to narrow it down?  Thanks for everything.

Rob

Rob,

It's not typical to see a failure in regard to the The 4-port (NM-4A/S) or the DTE/DCE cable; perhaps just bad luck. 

It's not uncommon to see an interface be in a 'line up; protocol down' state when there is a layer one or layer two problem.

Chris

Thanks for all your help Chris.  Yeah, that is usually my luck...bad.

Hi Chris,  Well it turns out it was the network module.  I borrowed one from a friend and she fired right up. Thanks for your help!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: