cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I force PfR to route VoIP traffic over a specific interface?

danieltien
Level 1
Level 1

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance with respect to PfR.  In our production environment, we have a 2851 ISR running CME 8.1 with frame relay over T1 for our VoIP/SIP service with Verizon.  We are also able to use non VoIP bandwidth for internet traffic.  We also have a DSL line that we currently use for our primary internet access. 

My understanding is that we can use PfR to bring both interfaces into the router and have a sort of load-balancing/failover system in place.  That said, we need to keep VoIP services on the T1.  Is it possible to set a static path to a specific exit for VoIP traffic and allow PfR to balance the rest?

2 Replies 2

Steve Lyons
Level 1
Level 1

Daniel,

The specific feature of PfR you are asking about is called link-groups. If you are familiar with QoS class-maps and policy-maps PfR has the same capability to classify traffic and then make decisions of what to do with these traffic classifications. In PfR this is called traffic-classes and pfr-maps where traffic-classes are similar to class-maps and oer-maps are similar to policy-maps.

The first step you will need to accomplish is to define which link-groups your external interfaces are associated. Then you create the traffic-class and oer-maps. When you are creating your oer-maps per application you will define the primary link-groups and backup link-groups.

Please refer to our documentation regarding link-groups

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/pfr/configuration/guide/pfr-link-group_ps10592_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Also note in older codes pfr-maps are called oer-maps.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Steve Lyons - Cisco

Daniel,

To know details about VOIP join the forum http://www.voipbiznessforum.com/

Thnx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: