Views
Helpful
Replies

how can i use static route in BGP

supremetreves
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Any one can help me using static route in BGP. I have a two isp connected in one router and giving connectivity to my remote location. I had configured one ISP as priamry by Route Map preferece and so failover is working fine. I want to configure a static default route at my client location so that when my primary link is up my all internet traffic must come through my secondary link and i tried the same but it didn't work can any help me in this ??

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sandeep

1 Reply 1

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Sandeep,

Your requirement is not so clear to me. I guess you want to utilize the backup ISP link for incoming traffic to your client location.

All inbound traffic depends upon your BGP network advertisements.

So, you need to have a dedicated Public registered network (/24 at minimum) assigned to your remote location so that you can advertise this network through backup AS with higher preference (like no AS-path prepend through backup ISP and AS path prepend for the same network through primary ISP). Please note that advertising /24 network will not work if any upperstream ISPs are aggregating the customer routes to reduce the entries in BGP database but I have seen /24 subnets as well in BGP routes from several providers.

Regards...

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card