Views
Helpful
Replies

On a 1841 - Backup interface for vlan inerface - tunnel interface

mikik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

On a Cisco 1841 router I  have an Interface vlan configured. Also I have  f0/0/1 interface  defined as switchport access with the same vlan. Is it possible to now define a tunnel interface and have it include the following  - backup interface vlan xx ?

Interface vlan 55

ip addresss 10.0.0.1 /24

interface f0/0/1

ip address  10.0.1.100 /24

switchport access vlan 55

interface tunnel5

backup interface vlan55

ip address 10.0.2.33/24

Is this configuration valid on a 1841 with these interfaces ? Can the "backup interface " be used in this situation ?

Thanks for any help.

2 Replies 2

David Salazar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, mikir

I see a mistake in the configuration.

a) interface f0/0/1 (A interface can not be layer 3 (ip add 10.0.1.100/24) and the same time be a Layer2 (Switchport access vlan 55))

ip address  10.0.1.100 /24

switchport access vlan 55

**** To have a Interface fastethernet as layer2 interface you need issue the command "no switchport".

In other order of idea, you can use a Interface VLAN (SVI) as Backup interface, but if you have more than one port in the Vlan 55 any physical port member of the vlan can be use.

I hope help you

Hi David:

Thanks for the answer. You are correct , the interface f0/0/1 is switchport access and no ip address. I simply did not write it correctly in the question.

I  did not see in Cisco  examples the use of 'backup interface" in this kind of situations. Mostly just for dialer interface. So i understand that this should work. There is in fact  only one interface in the vlan.

Mickey

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card