Views
Helpful
Replies

On a 1841 - Backup interface for vlan inerface - tunnel interface

mikik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

On a Cisco 1841 router I  have an Interface vlan configured. Also I have  f0/0/1 interface  defined as switchport access with the same vlan. Is it possible to now define a tunnel interface and have it include the following  - backup interface vlan xx ?

Interface vlan 55

ip addresss 10.0.0.1 /24

interface f0/0/1

ip address  10.0.1.100 /24

switchport access vlan 55

interface tunnel5

backup interface vlan55

ip address 10.0.2.33/24

Is this configuration valid on a 1841 with these interfaces ? Can the "backup interface " be used in this situation ?

Thanks for any help.

2 Replies 2

David Salazar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, mikir

I see a mistake in the configuration.

a) interface f0/0/1 (A interface can not be layer 3 (ip add 10.0.1.100/24) and the same time be a Layer2 (Switchport access vlan 55))

ip address  10.0.1.100 /24

switchport access vlan 55

**** To have a Interface fastethernet as layer2 interface you need issue the command "no switchport".

In other order of idea, you can use a Interface VLAN (SVI) as Backup interface, but if you have more than one port in the Vlan 55 any physical port member of the vlan can be use.

I hope help you

Hi David:

Thanks for the answer. You are correct , the interface f0/0/1 is switchport access and no ip address. I simply did not write it correctly in the question.

I  did not see in Cisco  examples the use of 'backup interface" in this kind of situations. Mostly just for dialer interface. So i understand that this should work. There is in fact  only one interface in the vlan.

Mickey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card