Views
Helpful
Replies

PEAP EAP-MSCHAP v2

syslink-x
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Does the router Cisco SB RVS4000 support 802.1x authentification, particularly PEAP EAP-MSCHAP v2? I'm connected to a network that provides access to the internet via ethernet cable and 802.1x authentification. I'd like to connect several devices to the network and provide them with internet through a router, but I'm not sure if the RVS4000 can log on to the network, because of the 802.1x authentification.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi syslink,

Yes the datasheet suggest that the RVS4000 supports 802.1x, I then  checked the GUI to confirm it supports  802.1x .

You mention below "not sure if the RVS4000 can log on to the network"

Do you really want the router WAN port to to autheticate via 802.1x  when you connect it to the network?

Or do you want connected PC clients on the LAN side of the RVS4000 to respond to a 802.1x challenge ?

Anyway, the datasheet shows support for;

• Username/password   802.1X 
• Port-based RADIUS authentication (Extensible Authentication Protocol multicast distributed switching [EAP-MDS], Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol [PEAP]).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9923/ps9928/data_sheet_c78-496735.html

Hope this helps.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply and the link!

You've asked: Do you really want the router WAN port to to autheticate via 802.1x  when you connect it to the network?

That's exactly what I'm looking for, a router that could autheticate via 802.1x.

I was actually  primarily wondering if the router would be able to connect to the network by autheticating via 802.1x (if the router can be configured via GUI in a way to access the network through PEAP EAP-MSCHAP v2 with the correspondig username and password). The network requires as mentioned a 802.1x authentification, which is no problem at all if I log on to the network via my PC. I was just wondering if this would be possible through a router. I was actually looking for one that could connect to the network via 802.1x on its own and providing all other computers with the internet that is offered through the network, especially without establishing the connection first via my computer to allow the other PCs the access (as it would work with a simple network switch).

Thanks!

I was just wondering if the RVS4000 would be able to log on to the network. The datasheet doesn't say much about it, only as you mentioned that the router supports "username/password 802.1X". Is it only on the client side, or does it mean the RVS4000 is able to log on with the username and password to the network through 802.1X authentification.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: