cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error: DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.

endpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am getting bellow error messages with new wlan i created. On the same WLC i have three other wlans working OK. This wlan suppose to get authenticated with acs, i tried to disable the authentication but got same error message. With acs authentication, i am able to authenticate OK but cannot get ip address from dhcp server. DHCP server is on wlc, used by other three wlans ok. All wlans are on differnt subnets; vlans created where needed.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Error from wlc:

*Sep 10 13:23:53.303: %DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.
*Sep 10 13:15:33.111: %DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.
*Sep 10 13:07:12.920: %DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.
*Sep 10 12:58:52.732: %DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.
*Sep 10 12:50:32.535: %DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.

11 Replies 11

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Whats the WLC model number and the software running?? it will great if you could delete that WLAN and reconfigure the same again and also the internal pool again.

Regards

Surendra.

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi, all other WLANs are working fine and dhcp pool is doing its job OK.

Actually it was config issue: i have two WLCs, one of these two is configured as anchor WLC and it was matter if setting up WLAN to have anchor WLC configured. Once i did it, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

I know this is an old case but I just wanted to add to it in that I just had Cisco scratching there heads for 2 weeks about an issue where we had an AP (nothing special, same as our other 100 AP's) would not allow clients to connect to it.

As soon as they set a static IP for the service port (was DHCP and not connected) suddenly it started working.

Cisco engineer did not 'really' understand why it started working and why it only affected 1 AP, but i am just happy its fixed.  The bug report really only classifies it as a minor annoyance (in reference to the message log filling up) but in our case it actually affected functionality.  We are running the latest 7.4.130.0 FWIW

So just FYI...

Old case, but at least it is coming up again.... I always look at the service port and make sure that it has a static address.  This has been an issue in the past and still is.  Always make it a best practice to define an address and you will not have to spend days or weeks chasing your tail:)

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

mwright_js
Level 1
Level 1

%DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Binding service port failed.

This one perplexed me too, there is no answer on Cisco's website that I could find. I think I have the  solution though....

Go to Monitor -> Interfaces -> Service-Port and have a look at the configuration.

I'm willing to bet that DHCP is enabled for the service port (the Ethernet interface on the left side of  the controller that you may or may not use) and the Ethernet is either not connected or it's connected to  a LAN where it can't get a DHCP lease.

What the controller is try trying to say is something like "%DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:374 Failed to get a DHCP address for the service port"

That was exactly it. Assigned a static IP instead and the error message stopped.

Thank you much!

We replaced our DHCP server and were getting the error.  We do not use DHCP on the WLC any more.  We entered 0.0.0.0 for both the primary and secondary DHCP server entries on the service port and the issue went away.

sstrijak
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I agree, disabling DHCP on service_port interface and configuring static IP address on that port stops the DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR log messages. just fixed

endpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thanks all for responce, As i mentioned in previous respond the issue was fixed. Stateic IP address is not solution we are looking for.

Thanks again for prompt responces.

"

Hi, all other WLANs are working fine and dhcp pool is doing its job OK.

Actually it was config issue: i have two WLCs, one of these two is configured as anchor WLC and it was matter if setting up WLAN to have anchor WLC configured. Once i did it, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for your response.

Regards,"

Yuliya S
Level 1
Level 1

For Error in WLC: %DHCP-3-BIND_SRPORT_ERR: dhcp_support.c:373 Binding service port failed.

Go to Controller TAB -> Check the DHCP Protocol Box. If it is ticked then mark untick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card