Helpful
Replies

High availability between 2 3560

uosambela
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

I need your advice:

I have a couple of cisco 3560 switches and a server with two nics.

Which is the best way to get high availabilty? Setting up an etherchannel between the two 3560 and connecting the nics of the server to each port of the ethercannel would work?

Thanks for all

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Cisco 3560 switch doesn't support Stack Wise Technology. It means that you cannot configure the ports between those switches to run Cross-Stack Etherchannel.  So  you can configure a bonding Nics at the server site. The important thing is you need to configure Active/Standby mode on the server.

Rgds,

Toshi

hi toshi,

Thanks for your response.

Just another question. Even configuring a cluster could i setup an etherchannel?

What chances do i have on switch side?

Is the nic bonding the only way?

Thanks again and sorry for my english

Hi Guy,

You need not do anything on Cisco 3560 switches. The server will use only one Nic at a time. So the swithes should not have any problem. We always configure Active/Standby mode at the server to get rid of problems when connecting  2 Nics on 2 switches. This is what we always do when we want to do physical redundancy.

HTH,

Toshi

hi Toshi,

i'm really sorry but i did not explain myself correctly.

The case is this one: Let's suppose we cannot configure the server's nic, and we have to solve this "problem" through the 3560. We cannot stack them to setup an etherchannel to provide physical redundancy. That's ok. Now my question is: is there a way to provide that physical redundancy configuring something on 3560 side? Maybe a cluster could give redundancy?

I'm really sorry for my english.

Hope i have explained it clearly.

Thanks again

Hi,

Okay, I get it. Clustering helps you get easy to manage the switches. That's what it does for us. You said that you cannot change anythings on the server. However, I still need to know what mode is runing on the server. If you want to connect 2 Nics on 2 Cisco 3560 switches, you need to use Active/Standby on the server. You're going to do physical redundancy.  How does the server do? Only one IP address on the server. Right? If yes, it would use the same Mac-address for 2 Nics.That would be a problem when running Active/Active mode. You will finally get Mac flapping somewhere.

HTH,

Toshi

ok Toshi,

Thanks for the info.

That was i just wanted to know it.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco