Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA configuration

chandru.j
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

One of my customer place there network is mesh topology. They HQ and four branches all are interconnected, they need if one connection goes down data has to go through other link. we did through static route by AD metric but manually we are doing this. They dont need routing protocol, so i thought to configure IP SLA. Now they have more than 40 static route.If only two location like primary and secondary link i can easily configure the router.

Can anybody help to configure IP SLA in mesh network with example.

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

With more than 40 static routes in the routing table and all governed by IP SLA, I believe that it is more effective to start using an appropriate routing protocol. If a router needs to run multiple IP SLA probes, it may be actually more busy than if it ran a routing protocol. I do not really believe that it is the best design to have a network that requires tens of static routes to be manually maintained.

Are there any fundamental reasons in your network not to run a routing protocol?

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card