Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless connectivity problem

leonnikolaou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The scenario is: two buildings with a distance of 800 meters one from the other.

At the moment there are two antenas on each building, with a wireless D-Link router on each site.

The communication between the two sites is ok however there are some moments (3,4 times a month) that the connection between the sites is dropped.

The reason of that is because the router buffers a lot and drops lots of packets. Each time I change the channel of the wireless it starts working ok

however when the router buffers a lot the problem occurs again.

Any recommendation of what to change in order to have a reliable connection between the two sites??

Thank you for your time

Regards

Leon

2 Replies 2

Federico Ziliotto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Leon,

Are the D-Link routes oversubscribed in order to buffer so much traffic that they start dropping it?

Maybe there is some overloading on the wired side.

If the routers are communicating on the 5 GHz frequencies, you may also want to verify whether there are any radar interferences around that could cause the current channel to become unusable.

On Cisco APs (not sure about D-Link) there is a command that could help in these situations, to tell the AP not to disconnect the other side when the maximum number of retries is reached (even if packets keep being dropped):

packet retries 32 drop-packet

Regards,

Fede

Hi Fede,

I will check the points that you mentioned  and I 'll let you know.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you

Regards

Leon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card