Views
Helpful
Replies

connectivity to 2960-48TC-S with GLC-SX-MM module

vinodjad1234
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have 2960-48TC-S and GLC-SX-MM SFP module.

I need to install the GLC-SX-MM in mentioned above switch and give connectivity to existing LAN switches like 3560, 2960 etc.

What type of fiber cable is required for this connectivity. How to check that cable which I have is compatible with existing switch module or with mentioned above SFP module ?

what is the configuration required to bring this port up  as a trunk port ?

Please suggest me for this issue...

It would be appriciative for help.

4 Replies 4

vinodjad1234
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Please give me somw suggestion for the same since i have to connect and decide whether it is compatiable or not ?

It would be great help for me

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What type of fiber cable is required for this connectivity.

The type of fiber required will depend upon the distance between your devices.  Table #1 in the following document outlines the multimode fiber (MMF) requirements for 1000BASE-SX (which is the GLC-SX-MM) and the distances they will support. 

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html>

How to check  that cable which I have is compatible with existing switch module or  with mentioned above SFP module ?

You will need to get a copy of the data sheet for the fiber cable you have installed to determine its modal bandwdith .  There is not a test set to determine the bandwidth of a installed multimode fiber (this is done during the manufacturing process).  The following Cisco document describes fiber cables. 

Sometimes you may have to trial-and-error the installation, using system performance as the determining factor whether it will work.  

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/white_paper_c11-463661.html>

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If i connect the fiber cable ( MMF - Orange colour ) , I am not getting port status as a green. LED is not glowing.

If I check with " show interface " ... with ( interface name )

I am getting status as a notconnected

Please guide me that , how do  check that cable is working fine or SFP module is not having any issue.

is it issue with port negotiation issue ........ how do i check ?

And how do I change the status ............

Please guide me

Are the SFP's fully seating in the slot?  Check the fiber cable so that the transmit (TX) port on one SFP is connected to the Receive (RX) port on the other SFP.

If this does not work, maybe you could troubleshoot by connecting the TX port to the RX port on one SFP and see if you get a link light.

Were the copper uplink ports on switches previously used?  The 2960 config guide indicates you may have to provision the port...

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swint.html#wp2037182>