Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C 210M1 is very noisy

nickkassel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have just installed a pair of UCS C210 M1 servers for Unified Communications Manager, however one of the servers is very noisy and does not seem to want to quiet down, the other server is fine, I have checked inside and all fans are running and is cool. Does anyone know what I could check to make sure this is running correctly.

Initially when I had these in the lab they went quiet after about an hour, however now on customer site one doesn't seem top want to do so and this.

Regards

Nick

5 Replies 5

bmoody
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nick,

login to the CIMC, on the left side highlight  Summary check the server  status in the center of the page in the right hand pane. You should see an over all status of Good.

In the left pane highlight sensors, in the right pane there are tabs for Power Supply, Fan, Temperature, Voltage and Current Sensors. Check all of these to ensure no thresholds have been crossed.

In the left pane highlight System Event Log on the right pane scroll through the messages to see if you have any entries that may be related such as critical fan alarms, power supply alarms.

If any alarms are present,  a power supply, fans etc could be replaced. If this all checks out then the Server is running properly,  if however you still feel uncomfortable due to  the noise you could always opt for an RMA by opening a TAC Service Request.

If you are not familiar with or have not setup CIMC as of yet I have enclosed a link if you look at the bottom of the page under C200 M1 you will

see links to documentation regarding how to set up CIMC as well as troubleshooting tips.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10493/prod_configuration_examples_list.html

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for your reply, i have checked the CIMC and all appears to be fine, I have checked the system event log and their are no critical errors relating to fans or power supplies so I guess it must be good, will consider an RMA if the customer complains.

Many thanks

Nick

Nicholas,

Can you check the fan speeed from the CIMC.  Let me know what the value is (RPMs).

I have seen the case where the fans were spinning high, and pulling & reseating the Power Supplies (one at a time) fixed the issue.

Robert

Hi Robert

The fans speed are

PSU 1 2048 rpm

PSU 2 2496 rpm

Please see attached screenshot.

Regards

Nick

Nick,

Take a look at CSCth30950 it is related to high fan speed due to the algorithm miscalculating the fan speed.

This bug is related to CIMC version 1.1 or lower.  The workaround as mentioned by Robert is to reseat the

power supplies. The CIMC firmware that contains the fix for this is not available as of yet and we have no

firm ETA on a release date. The fan speeds that I see in the lab are running psu 2400 - 2500

fans 5400 - 5600.

Thanks,

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: