SA520w drops connections

Unanswered Question
Sep 13th, 2010
User Badges:

I have installed an SA520w as our office side gateway and users are continually getting dropped connections when trying to use RDP to our terminal servers.  Thing is, they are not going "through" the device, it's just their gateway address, and from there the hop to our internal 4503 router to get to the terminal servers.  When I put the 1701 back in place instead of the SA, things are fine.  Users just basically "bounce" off the SA to get to the internal network.  To top it all off, when I go to the administration tab to check settings, I get logged out saying the session has timed out.  I cannot do anything with the device.  I have upgraded firmware to 1.1.65 already...what is left to do?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
juliomar Wed, 09/15/2010 - 14:31
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Infanteaj,

Do your RDP users get connection to the terminal servers at all?  If they connect, how long does the connection last?  How many users are connecting at a time? Are they "bounced" off from the SA without even reaching the Terminal Servers?

Could you also provide me with a topology of your setup, if you don't have visio, ascii is OK...If you don't want to share it with community you can send it to me via Private Message.

Internet----->SA 520<------>4503 Router<------->Terminal Servers

|

|

|

RDP Clients

In regards to the SA 520W Web Administration Utility, it has an idle timeout of 10 Minutes.

Best regards,

Julio

Andy Infante Thu, 09/16/2010 - 05:59
User Badges:

Internet-------->ASA5510

|

|

RDP Clients---------switch---------SA 520<------>Internet

|

|

4503 Router<------->Terminal Servers

SA520w is gateway for RDP clients (192.168.1.1)

4503 Router is 192.168.1.2

ASA5510 is 192.168.1.254

Terminal servers (191.168.248.x) use ASA as internet gateway. 

Static routes on all devices for each network

Some users connect and get disconnected after a few minutes, other can't connect at all.  It's also access to internet that goes away I think, but RDP connection gets dropped, so it's most obvious.  There shouldn't be any "Connection through" the SA520 for RDP users, they should just get routed back to the 4503.       

juliomar Fri, 09/17/2010 - 13:36
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Infanteaj,

Is it possible for you to send us a copy of your running configuration so that we can take a look, and see any issues in the configuration. If you do not want to share your config on the community, please send me the the config file on a Personal Message.  You can edit out the password to the unit before sending it.

To get the configuration file you must be logged in and on the
Administrator Tab:

1.       Click on Firmware & Configuration

2.       Click on network

3.       In the middle look for the Backup/Restore Settings

4.       then Click Backup.

Best regards,

Julio

Sorry to be opening an old thread, but we have just installed a SA520W-K9 and are experiencing "drops" on wireless as well.  Connections to wireless bounce constantly, but anything hardwired to it works just fine and is rock solid.  Firmware is up to date.

Small Business Pro

Security Appliance Configuration Utility

Product ID:SA520W-K9
Version ID:V01

Are there any know issues/fixes that address this?

jasbryan Thu, 12/15/2011 - 07:48
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Eric,

wirelessly issue tends to be environmental related which causes the biggest problems.

You need to map out your environments including devices that will cause wireless interference.

Check to see if other device are broadcasting signals on the same channel. Location of SA500 appliance, making sure it’s not near a major power supply source. High voltage cables put off what we call EMI (electromagnetic interference) and causes big problems with wireless devices.

Here is some informational reading

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/wireless/ps9391/ps9393/ps9394/prod_white_paper0900aecd807395a9_ns736_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html

After you find the source of interference and make appropriate changes you should see an improvement of wireless connectivity and virtually no drops.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Actions

This Discussion