Views
Helpful
Replies

Server and Nexus questions

jonesl1
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning!

I am needing some help regarding setting up some pieces to my server room.  I've read some of the Cisco documents, but I'll be the first to tell you....some of that stuff is as clear as mud to me.  Anyhow, Let me explain what I have. 

We currently have two Nexus 5k's (Nexus 5kA and Nexus 5kB).   They are connected to Nexus 2k switches which are in the top of each rack (2 nexus 2ks for server redundancy).  The 5kA is connected to all the 2kA's and the 5kB to all the 2kB's.   Right now there is no peer link between the two 5k's.   We were advised by our Cisco engineer that it wouldn't be needed when we began hooking it up.  Each of the 5k's is hooked to our dual 6509's which are interlinked by VSS.  I have attached a diagram to make it a little clearer below.

Currently the servers in the racks have one cable hooked to each 2k in its corresponding rack, again for redundancy.  Now, they have explained they are wanting to port channel across the two 2k switches, one cable in one..and the other cable in the other.  Since a normal port channel can't span across two switches, i'm assuming this isnt going to work.  I'm guessing this is where Virtual Port Channel's (or maybe they are one in the same) are going to come into play.  However, in order for this to occur, i'm guessing I need to have a VPC peer link in between the two 5k's.  Does this sound right?  This is a production environment, so if i create the link (providing thats what i have to do), will it affect my servers which are currently running?

In addition to this, apparently our server group is wanting to set up numerous servers this way by creating port-channels to the server itself.   Is this truly a good way of going about getting the redundancy?  Also, am I going to have limitations by creating all these port-channels on the 5k's to allow for every server?   Just seems a little odd to me, but I wanted to ask you guys to see what insight I could get from you all.

Again, thank you all for all your help and assistance.   Any bit of insight or information is much appreciated. .

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are correct.. You will need to use vPC technlogy and for this you will need to connect the two Nexus 5ks via a peer-link. You will need a keep-alive link as well for vPC. The following tech tip should help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

Looks like you are using Figure 1 deployment in the tech tip and it should help with configurations