cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to ping external ip address from outside network?

jsandau
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sure that this is pretty simple, but I want to be able to ping the external address of my cisco 1811 router from outside the network (like from a remote location). any time I try to ping the external ip address now all I get is a request time out. I'm pretty sure this is a simple firewall issue (possibly relating to icmp), but I don't know how to configure that on the firewall. If this can be done via CCP that would be great (or if the CLI commands are simple that would be ok too I guess).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have zone based firewall on the router? Then you would need to inspect icmp from the outside zone to the self zone.

If not, you would need to open the outside interface ACL for icmp to the toeuer ip address.

I hope it helps.

PK

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you have zone based firewall on the router? Then you would need to inspect icmp from the outside zone to the self zone.

If not, you would need to open the outside interface ACL for icmp to the toeuer ip address.

I hope it helps.

PK

Thanks, that worked.

Good we could solve it quick.

Take care,

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card