Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE - How would you read this output?

ggalteroo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I´d like to fully understand the output from show resource usage all.

Here you have the resource allocation for a context.

resource-class  IEco

limit-resource all minimum 20.00 maximum unlimited

And here there is the outcome under heavy load. Clearly there has been a resource exhaustion.

show resource usage all.JPG

The "Min" value follows the resource-class, and in this case, the "Max" pretty much follows the "Min", but why do we have a "Max" since the upper limit is actually unlimited? Please note an upper limit of 325M for bandwidth and depletion took place at roughly 252M

Regarding the conc-connections resource. Can it be upgraded? As far as I understand only bandwidth, throughput and SSL termination are upgradable.

Is conc-connections a consecuence of bandwidth? How many concurrent connections does an ACE with 8Gbps license have?

Lastly, is there a consideration when it comes to reading the active connections on ACE? A firewall infront of ACE and the servers behing it both report around 1/3 connections of what ACE does.

The version is A2.1(3)

Thanks a lot!

Guido

2 Replies 2

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Guido,

pretty simple actually.

Let's assume you have 3 contexts and assign a min of 20% to all of them with max unlimited.

What is the max bandwidth you can get for a single context do you think ?  100% ???

Since all context have 20% min, it means the max for a single context is 100% - (2 x 20) = 60%.

Then assume one context uses 20 + 30 = 50% of the resource.

The other 2 contexts have 20% min....but how much can they get if needed ???

100 - 50 - 20 = 30%

It's not an easy task to play with virtualisation.

Gilles.

Thanks, Giles!

Last question.

Does a 8Gbps license mean 8M concurrent connections? The output suggests it since the aggregate adds up to 8M. The license doesn´t explicitly states connections upgrades and I don´t have a 4Gbps ACE around to play with. If that is the case, would it be the same for a 16Gbps?

Thanks again!

Guido